Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Going to play .5/.10 NL

Have not played many cash games before.

Im going to be play very tight, and not bluff at anything. And avoid multiway pots with anything less than a set.

If I keep accurate stats for 10K hands what would be the measure I look at to know if I am "beating" this level of play.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Going to play .5/.10 NL

poker is such a complex game ... esp no limit. its not like ur typical activity. if u play baseball someone can say many things. keep your eye on the ball , look for a good pitch, never lose focus when playing the field etc etc. you really can't go into poker with a few good tips imho.

you should def play one table of ur 5-10 , but in between you should be reading books like harrington on holdem vol 1 and phil gordans little green book. also hang out in the strategy forums. more study less play AT FIRST. you def want to build a solid base before jumping into a lot of games.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
avoid multiway pots with anything less than a set

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this +EV?
Just asking. I'm a noob.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM

You'll need more than 10k hands to see if you're beating a level.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Ok say I play 30K hands, what BB/100 hands stat should I be posting if I am playing good poker after that sample size?

What should be my goal stat to target to give myself an idea of how I am progressing?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 AM

If you truly play tight, you should beat .05/.10 since it's a level where a rocky style of simply waiting for people to give you their money via questionable and downright poor plays is a profitable strategy. A couple of negatives though. It's boring because you won't play many hands, and it doesn't do anything in terms of teaching yourself to play with and outplay people, which you have to do more of as you move up.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 AM

Yeah im playing .05/.10 right now on FTP and it can actually be pretty fun(believe it or not) you will find many absolute crazy donks that just put all their chips in with top pair and like a really weak kicker. Its pretty good. I would suggest if your going to be playing full ring games to play at least 4 tables. Otherwise you really will get bored with just 1 table of full ring. I play 6 max usually 2-4 tables sometimes 1 if im just running around the forums(like now). Just take your time and BE PATIENT.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok say I play 30K hands, what BB/100 hands stat should I be posting if I am playing good poker after that sample size?

What should be my goal stat to target to give myself an idea of how I am progressing?

[/ QUOTE ]

6 max or full ring?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you truly play tight, you should beat .05/.10 since it's a level where a rocky style of simply waiting for people to give you their money via questionable and downright poor plays is a profitable strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing like this for the last two weeks. I've played two very, very dumb hands, otherwise have played absolute ABC, solid-tight/aggressive poker. The results: A net loss of $50 after taking bad beat after bad beat. The difficult part of this strategy is that's its very difficult to win big pots, but seemingly very easy to get sucked-out on when you get your money in with the best hand.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you truly play tight, you should beat .05/.10 since it's a level where a rocky style of simply waiting for people to give you their money via questionable and downright poor plays is a profitable strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been playing like this for the last two weeks. I've played two very, very dumb hands, otherwise have played absolute ABC, solid-tight/aggressive poker. The results: A net loss of $50 after taking bad beat after bad beat. The difficult part of this strategy is that's its very difficult to win big pots, but seemingly very easy to get sucked-out on when you get your money in with the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but your suggesting that your a loosing player because of bad beats. This is just an excuse and your not being honest with yourself. Most likely what happens with tight players is they become predictable, they don't protect their hands well, and they don't recognize a continuation bet.

For .05/.10, expect to make a 30 cent bet with 10 cent extra for each limper with any solid starting hand. If you hit top pair with good kicker, make a pot-size raise (usually over 1 dollar). It is not a good idea to simply wait for the nuts like you may have done in .01/.02 games. The reason why .01/.02 games are hugely profitable by simply limping and hitting is because of the huge implied odds. Your going to need to recognize opportunities to squeeze and not play so tight. continuation bets are the norm..... recognize them and bluff the pot when you know a person missed.