Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Management Decision re: non-tipping patron of restaur

If it were my restaurant I'd ask the non-tipping patrons (if they were frequent/regular non-tippers) not to come back any more. Then I'd probably take the hottest waitress into the back room and bang her. Then I'd go out to the ugliest, laziest redneck customer I had and smack him across the face with my [censored].

Then I'd open a specifically online-poker-player-themed restaurant full of super hot waitresses and fantastic food, lure all of you nits in, then when you didn't tip, just splooge all over your faces from a perch above the door while you left.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People who come in parties of 3-6 take up a table for an entire service, then ring up a 300-500 dollar tab and tip 15% are scumbags.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know who said this first but

There's no way that one group of 3-6 takes your full attention, which either means you can slack off like crazy and still make 3 times minimum wage, or you can work at more tables and make a redic amount of money for the amount of skill and labor involved.

Whoever made this comment has obviously taken for granted that they're working the most overpaid/skill and labor job available in america.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golden Rhino: While $75 may seem like a lot on the surface, imagine if the same table of 6 people with a $500 tab who took all night was replaced by table of 4 people with a $300 tab that turns 3 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can appreciate that as a waiter, a hight turnover table is ideal, but my point is that $75 is not too bad, especially if it can be considered a bad night.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that the waiter doesnt get all of that 75 right? Theres tip sharing involved where they give a percentage of it out to the hostess and to other parts...they maybe end up with $50 by the end...which would be right at about $10/hr at most.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And speaking of doucebags who travel overseas, why is it that Americans who come into our restaurants don't tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And I never got a single tip. Because that's not how it works in Australia

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, which is it?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who are cheap are [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like the people that pay servers a slave wage?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And speaking of doucebags who travel overseas, why is it that Americans who come into our restaurants don't tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And I never got a single tip. Because that's not how it works in Australia

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, which is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to have it both ways, like the guy I was replying to. You know like, pay my employees crap money / get high and mighty with my customer base and preach down to them and call them cheap.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:38 PM

There is nothing that the frothing restaurant owners/managers/waiters in this thread have written that has convinced me that six is an acceptable size for an auto-gratuity. It's not. It should be 8+. And it shouldn't be >15%.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that the waiter doesnt get all of that 75 right? Theres tip sharing involved where they give a percentage of it out to the hostess and to other parts...they maybe end up with $50 by the end...which would be right at about $10/hr at most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people insist on trying to use $10 as a crap wage?

Even if it were the waiter/waitresses only table (which is certainly isn't), he/she would be getting paid $10/hr by a table of 6. At the same time managment is throwing them an astounding $2.13/hour.

Who's the cheapskate, again?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people insist on trying to use $10 as a crap wage?

Even if it were the waiter/waitresses only table (which is certainly isn't), he/she would be getting paid $10/hr by a table of 6. At the same time managment is throwing them an astounding $2.13/hour.

Who's the cheapskate, again?

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

What's fairly depressing is the sense of entitlement that a lot of the wait staff in this thread seem to have. Even if they're only clearing $10/hr after tipping everyone out that's still $10/hr that they're not likely to report so it's free and clear (to be fair I have no idea how much or often servers report taxes). So that's what, like $13/hr that the normal tax-paying sucker would have to make to be equivalent? That's a pretty good wage.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am blown away by the number of people who will walk into a restuarant and purchase a $30+ piece of beef or fish and end up tipping 15% or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you're overcharging them on entrees doesn't obligate them to overspend even more on tips.