Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Default I played 54 holes of golf at Doral today.

The Doral Golf Resort in sunny South Florida, host of the 2007 CA Championship and host of PGA TOUR events for the past 40 years, was kind enough to open 3 of its 5 courses today to 100 lucky muni hackers like me for only $150. My day began at 7:00 AM and included 18 holes of golf at The Blue Monster (6281 / 70.4 / 126), The Great White (6085 / 68.7 / 117), and The Red Course (5540 / 66.2 / 119).

The Blue Monster was an absolute beauty. Such great shape. Fairways nice and green, bunkers all white and puffy, rough deep enough to completely cover your ball. Beats the hell out of the conditions I'm normally used to which are brownish fairways, concrete bunkers, and rough made out of the same kind of crappy grass that grows on a lawn. Greens were HUGE and hard to miss unless of course you were trying to hit out of one of those fluffy bunkers or try to dig your ball out of the deep stuff from 100 yards away. We started at 7:00 AM and ended up finishing around 11:15 due to a slow group in front of us. Had lunch and then it was off to the Red Course at noon.

Well... what can I say about the Red Course. I'm glad I got to play it and all that... and it has a real nice layout, but I'd describe it as a glorified muni. Upkeep was comparable to what I'm used to at my local par-31 executive course. I think I could justify shelling the normal $200 green fee to play the Blue Monster again, but I would never pay to play the Red Course. Still, lot of fun holes on this one especially #15 where my friend Tin Cup'ed himself to a 9 after putting a painful number of balls in the water. We finished up the red in 3 hrs 30 min, grabbed some free hot dogs and set out for the Great White at 4:15.

The Great White: WOW!!! I have NEVER played anything like this and I CANNOT BELIEVE this course's green fees are less than what they charge normally for the Blue Monster.

"The 7,171 yard, par 72 Great White, a Greg Norman Signature Course, is the only golf course of its kind in the Southeastern United States that utilizes coquina - crushed shells - as the primary design element on every hole. In creating the Great White, Norman blended strategically demanding fairways with hundreds of palm trees and sporadic Scottish-style bunkers."

This course basically has NO ROUGH. The fairways are wider, but surrounding them is this rock hard "coquina" which my friend and I cleverly dubbed "the desert crap." As if being in the "desert crap" with NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER hitting out of that stuff wasn't bad enough, there are dozens of palm trees along every strip of this stuff and my ball found its way to them more often than not. Course was immaculate. I felt bad taking divots on the fairway because the grass was so perfect it looked artificial. I absolutely want to play this course again and would be willing to pay the $150 green fee to do it.

Hope you all enjoyed the trip report.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: I played 54 holes of golf at Doral today.

I played the great white course a bunch on Links 2003 and always liked the layout a lot. Sounds like an awesome day, why were they offering that deal?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM

Nice! What was the promotion that allowed you to play all three for $150?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 AM

And all in only 351 strokes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] solid brag anyway...wish I ever got to play decent courses
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM

The promotion was the "Summer Solstice Slam." 54 holes, breakfast, lunch, snack, 3 free beers or gatorades (beer ftw duh) and a tshirt. Why did they offer this deal? I have no idea. It was capped at 100 golfers so they probably made like $15,000 on the deal. I dunno how that compares to what they'd normally make in one day on greens fees for that course. They have another event later in the year where you get to play the Blue Monster from the professional tees under the exact conditions Tiger played when he shot -10. I have no desire to subject myself to such agony, though, so I won't be there. =)

JJ, the 351 strokes wasn't because I was playing badly... it was, ummmm... because I wanted to maximize my experience by taking as many shots as possible. It's like I played 6 rounds instead of 3! =)
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM

Awesome deal. Nice trip report.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Just to echo what's been said about the White course. Greg Norman did an awesome job on the redesign. It is a GREAT course, one that I would much rather play than the Blue.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Sweet dude, I read the whole thing.