Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Flop

[ QUOTE ]
We seem to have shifted to assuming the pro is weak-tight, in the sense that his idea of how to play a good hand in the small blind is to flat call a raise out of position, and then to fold without a peep to the inevitable continuation bet unless he nails the flop. My expectation is that a good player who voluntarily enters a raised pot does not just go down without a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most people are assuming that the pro is insanely aggressive. So much so that because he didn't make a probe bet that a checkraise is inevitable.
While I think it's close, I don't think it's clearly a check here.

A couple of questions:
What range do you think the ohter 2 players put us on?

Sossman has talked about MJ's range. What range do you put the limp-caller on?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:58 AM

I'm making a continuation bet of about 1,200 here. There was no strength pre-flop, so even if someone has TP, they need to think twice about continuing. If I get a call, I am still in decent shape pending the turn.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:20 PM

everyone checks to me.... i might be a bit suspicious and wonder if a trap is still being set.
How does everyone feel about a probe-type bet (say 600) to see where you stand.
Otherwise i would check for fear of running into trouble.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:58 PM

Although I'm the pre-flop raiser, I'm checking for the following reasons:

- The texture of the flop concerns me just a bit, and fits into some of the CO's possible holdings (KT, JT, T9, 33, etc). I think it's best to take advantage of a free card, and see what my opponents do on 4th street (avoiding a possible check-raise).

- Deception. My opponents will wonder why I didn't bet the flop. They'll have to ponder whether I'm slowplaying a big hand, or taking a card because I missed. This sets me up for a possible bluff on the turn or river if the right card comes.

Here are the cards I don't want to see on 4th street:

- Any diamond or heart with the exception of an Ace or Jack (giving one of my opponents a possible flush draw)

- Any Ten, Nine, or Three, pairing the board (too great of a chance one of my opponents were helped)

- Any King or Six (fills a potential straight draw)

An Ace, Queen, Jack, or Club (as long as it isn't a Ten, Nine, or Three) on the turn would be great, for obvious reasons.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 AM

Haven't read any of the other posts yet so sorry if being redundant, but I'm done with the hand. You missed completely, no real draws, and you're up against a good player who called a raise from the SB and a very deep stack that could have had you crushed from the beginning.

I check, and fold when one of them bets on the turn unless I hit a huge draw of some sort.

Kirk
Old 09-21-2005, 07:05 AM

You don't have control of the hand - a raise on the button after just one limper doesn't convery any great show of strength. I think any good, reasonably aggressive player will check-raise the flop with any two, and you DO have a few outs of hitting a decent draw on the turn. A flop bet would be a total waste of chips.

Kirk
Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't have control of the hand - a raise on the button after just one limper doesn't convery any great show of strength. I think any good, reasonably aggressive player will check-raise the flop with any two, and you DO have a few outs of hitting a decent draw on the turn. A flop bet would be a total waste of chips.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not heads-up, there are three players to this flop. A check-raise would be more likely heads-up. Three-handed, if someone hit something strong on this particular flop, or had an overpair, they're less likely to check and allow everyone a free card with the 9/10 presenting possible draws on board.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 AM

i dont agree with a check here,the only thing Hero has at this time is two back door draws which are long shots.
say we do check here and the turn is A or J ,then what?are we really ahead?say we make a bet then and then get check-raised? do we know know where we stand? the CO has checked which means he prob didnt have AA-JJ, so there is a good chance hero is ahead at this time .i think a bet of about 1300 is good here.hero may very well have the best hand here but if he the bet gets called,i dont think an A or a J on the turn would put him in front.he makes the bet ,if he gets reraised he is done with the hand,if he gets called,then i think he should just check and fold the turn if any one bets.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
well, there is 2K in the pot and 11K in my stack. I want this pot. The villains are certainly going to assume that this missed me (and of course it did), but that doesn't mean I am ready to give up. I'm betting out - 1200 is the right size. It is enough to show that I am serious about the hand while small enough to allow me the All-in bluff I'm planning on with FE over disagreeable hands like JQ. So my plan is to bet 1200, and then come over-the-top AI if raised to 3600 or less. This will be, naturally, after a considered pause in which I am carefully weighing my options and doing imaginary math in my head.

Why am I doing this? Because I believe I have FE over any pair. I am going home if they have T9, or trips, but that's ok. A board like this, an AI to shut out all draws is understandable and I think it is likely that they will put me on JJ-AA, or at worst AT.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, this is nutty. Does anyone else strong disagree with this? Are there really no better spots for you to get all your money in??
Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM

I'm way behind but I'm doing these all in a row today hehe.

I check here. A position stab at the pot just seems too predictable and dangerous against an accomplished pro and a tight player who I read as having a mid-pp, which could easily have just flopped a set.