Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: The Well: Tom Bayes

[ QUOTE ]

Most "adjustments" are geared towards how the typical 2-7 tourney player plays as opposed to the cash game regulars. My experience has shown me that most of the semi-decent tourney players (not the real donks) play very straight-forward and are always trying to make the nuts and miss lots of value bets and rarely snow and/or bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Most of the play is incredibly passive. But I have seen some of passive but otherwise solid players doing well nut-peddling, whereas its usually more hit or miss with my higher variance style. My opinion though about the adjustments is that basically its fine to play my normal high variance game big stacked, or short stacked, but with around 10-15 big bets I think its best to play just a tad more conservatively- which just means tightening up ever so slightly in sb vs bb hands, and reigning in the river value-betting range a hair too. But somewhat paradoxically when you do decide to play a hand with 10-15 bets, its better to 3-bet pre than to call, just to try and get it heads up.
[ QUOTE ]

I have less success picking off rough value bets and bluffs in tourneys than cash games. If you pat with a rough 8 or a nine and someone bets into you, you are almost always beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely

[ QUOTE ]

*TT* really hates sixes and I believe a TD tourney player should really hate them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

6s are the devil!
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and finally, I have to admit that I believe 2-7 TDL is actually a variant of poker that is not terribly well suited to tourney play. Notice that the size of these tourneys has really fallen off.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been thats its fairly easy to build a stack early, but then when the blinds start getting high you are going to have to win some key hands. In both of the ones that I have have won I was either reduced to nothing or arrived at the final table with no chips and came back. When it gets HU with both players having 10-15 big bets, it is a total crap shoot.
[ QUOTE ]

I think Stars would find a larger audience for NL Kansas City lowball. That's an awesome tourney game. I played a bit on GamesGrid but that site had no player base.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played in a few of those with you and you always outlasted me. It does seem a little surprising that stars doesn't offer KCL since they offer NL and PL TDL.