Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Default bluff catcher?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1170)
Hero (t1830)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t120) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t120) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t280</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t680) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t830 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t830.

Final Pot: t2340

only 10 hands into the game. villain has very negative roi over 11 HU games (could mean anything). only previous hand of note was:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1460)
Hero (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t120) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, BB calls t80.

Turn: (t280) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB calls t200.

River: (t680) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1200 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t-520
Old 11-17-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: bluff catcher?

For the hand in question, why didn't you cbet the flop?

Also, given previous action, I'd be very wary about villain's sudden decision to bet out. When a calling station bets out, I give him a lot of credit. Especially when he leads the river after you call his turn C/R.

So I'd say :
1. cbet flop (fold to shove)
2. as played, call turn, fold river

Also, please explain your thinking in the previous hand (3-barreling with air). I understand betting out flop, maybe the double barrel, but 3-barreling when the flush card comes?

If the guy is as bad as his SS might suggest, I'd be much more likely to bet turns and rivers with some sort of made hand, looking to get value from someone who calls too wide.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:32 PM

Given the action, I'd say it's a call. The only unfortunate thing is that his range is pretty polarized here, so yeah you have a bluff catcher. It's hard to see him check a king or a 7 twice though.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the hand in question, why didn't you cbet the flop?

Also, given previous action, I'd be very wary about villain's sudden decision to bet out. When a calling station bets out, I give him a lot of credit. Especially when he leads the river after you call his turn C/R.

So I'd say :
1. cbet flop (fold to shove)
2. as played, call turn, fold river

Also, please explain your thinking in the previous hand (3-barreling with air). I understand betting out flop, maybe the double barrel, but 3-barreling when the flush card comes?

If the guy is as bad as his SS might suggest, I'd be much more likely to bet turns and rivers with some sort of made hand, looking to get value from someone who calls too wide.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have lots of answers to all your comments. good post though as it draws out all the thinking involved in this hand!

i didnt continuation bet because there was no point. there were no draws, so i did not need to protect my hand, and there were no worse hands villain would be calling with, so betting would not get me value. i checked to let villain catch/ decide to bluff at me.

i dont especially think we can conclude he is a calling station from one hand, if anything, i think it shows he is sane enough to fold 2nd pair to pressure, but is not good enough to realise i was bluffing. the triple barrel was because villain has a queen there 80% imo

again the reason for not betting i mentioned in the not continuation betting.

finally, don't you think his bet sizing is super suspect? doing it with a king is illogical, and i think my other hand i posted shows he is not crazy, and doing it with a 7 misses value from weak opponents (something that terrifies fish!).
Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 PM

i really dont think u can call here without a specific read
cant think of a hand you beat.
id bet flop most of the time aswell
Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really dont think u can call here without a specific read
cant think of a hand you beat.
id bet flop most of the time aswell

[/ QUOTE ]

hence me calling it a bluff catcher: is the bet sizing not super suspect?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:59 PM

Every one does not play like you.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to see him check a king or a 7 twice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the elevens, this is so standard. People love to c/r a monster.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:03 AM

yea it is vs an unknown i think its a fold because u really dont have an idea whether he has trips or air. and also calling this and being wrong is a pretty big mistake and id rather make a small mistake by folding the best hand than make a big mistake by calling and losing. Also you have no kicker so if he happens to have a king ur beat aswell. id think about callin with KJ here.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every one does not play like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

aimed at me right? i fully realise that. i assume the comment is a reference to my habit of making posts then vigorously defending every action i make . bad habit i know :P i just want to assure myself there is something going on in my head at the time.

if i am wrong can you elaborate?