Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Don Cheadle beats Phil Ivey, LOL

I just don't buy the idea that Ivey bothers going to the event, buys in for 25k and then just doesn't give a crap about the result so much so that he donks off to Don Cheadle in round 1. Heads up is high variance and he got the worse end of the deck this time around (just like he got bad beat to a chop against chad brown last year).

Everyone knows that Ivey focuses on cash games, but its getting annoying to constantly hear that he isn't trying in ANY of these tournaments.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't buy the idea that Ivey bothers going to the event, buys in for 25k and then just doesn't give a crap about the result so much so that he donks off to Don Cheadle in round 1. Heads up is high variance and he got the worse end of the deck this time around (just like he got bad beat to a chop against chad brown last year).

Everyone knows that Ivey focuses on cash games, but its getting annoying to constantly hear that he isn't trying in ANY of these tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so hard to believe? Sometimes Phil brings his A-game, other times he doesn't. Or, as you say, it might just be headsup variance. Both are possibilities.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Most pros agree in any heads up game with blind increases NOONE has more than a 10% edge against any semi decent competent player. That means Ivey should lose about 45% of the time. No surprise.

Why they dont make it have no blind incrase is byond me. The matches could be super long but you would almost always see the best player win.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so hard to believe? Sometimes Phil brings his A-game, other times he doesn't. Or, as you say, it might just be headsup variance. Both are possibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked to some pros in the past and most told me that they put the Heads Up event in the top five that they want to win. I'm pretty sure that Ivey feels the same way and didn't want to go out so quick, espcially against an amateur.

Now, if you've got as much money as Ivey does, the sting probably goes away much quicker.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

I like his pokerwire interview. Cheadle could be a really good representative for poker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1jynt4RC6c
Old 03-04-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like his pokerwire interview. Cheadle could be a really good representative period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1jynt4RC6c

[/ QUOTE ]

I can appreciate humble guys who really KNOW the truth in the end. I read in another interview w/ him somewhere that Ivey said to him, "We both started w/ the same amount of chips, in the end you had all of them and i had zero." Very succinct statement.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

Cheadle is the man.

If they wanted to make this a "best player in the world" type of tournament they would start out 300BBs deep with no blind increases. Of course, they don't want that kind of competition, they just want an entertaining poker show (as evidenced by the celeb presence). Cheadle beating Ivey will draw ratings for sure, and will also help poker a lot (as will the ongoing Shannon Elizabeth saga).
Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM

After you watch the interview, check out the ad Don did for Amnesty Inter'l. Looks like he's involved with the real world, not just Hollywood.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:10 PM

yea there is lots of luck with quick levels like this, way deeper stacks would be better to find out who is the best and eliminate some variance. Good interview by Cheadle who seemed humble and understands the variance.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don Cheadle is primarily known as an actor

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, he's primarily known as the guy who pissed me off repeatedly a few years ago in those waaaaaay too serious/dramatic commercials for the NFL playoffs.

Why the hell am I listening to Don Cheadle tell me about the NFL playoffs? How about someone who actually played in the NFL?

At least when Kiefer Sutherland used to do the commercials for the NHL playoffs, it was only a voice over (and he's got a pretty cool voice).