Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Official ACC-BIG TEN challenge 2007

[ QUOTE ]
I love midwest basketball, but it's so far from what the rest of the nation plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. What is it you love about it--the clumsy honkiness or final scores that look like halftime scores?
Old 11-30-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's not get carried away here.

If you go back and look at the Final Four to 1997, both the ACC and Big Ten each have had 10 teams.

Nat'l champions is a little too narrow, and just making the tournament a bit too broad.

I suppose you could also look at Sweet Sixteen appearances over that time to determine the number of quality teams between the two conferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, NC is too broad and making the field is too narrow because they dont show what you want them to show. Odds are the Big10 would be better in SOME category that you could arbitrarily define.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, so agree on one first and then look.

I think Final Four is the best for determining depth at the top. Sweet Sixteen is good for looking at which conference has the best top 5 teams or so.

I don't think anyone would argue that the lower half of the ACC is much better than the lower half of the Big Ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not something like "wins in the NCAA tourney"? Final Fours is ok, I guess, but again its pretty high variance since its rare that more than one team from any conference makes it, and the Final Four isnt really that much different than Elite Eight. I'd say overall conference tourney record is better than NC, FF or 64.

Or maybe they could organize some games directly between the teams in each of the conferences and add up who has the best overall records. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm a Big Ten/Big East guy but I think its pretty obvious that the ACC pwns the Big 10 except in the highest possible variance situations.

Edit to say I have no idea what the comparative tourney records are and I dont plan on looking it up, just offering it as a possible criteria.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 AM

overall tourney wins seems legitimate enough. if the big ten didn't have it's top teams performing well in the tournament it wouldn't be a major conference.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
overall tourney wins seems legitimate enough. if the big ten didn't have it's top teams performing well in the tournament it wouldn't be a major conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if I like overall wins so much as overall performance, I cant remember what I said above but if I said wins I'd like to amend it. Winning % is better, or some sort of weighted combination of win% and overall wins. 9-4 is better than 3-1 but 7-1 better than 9-7 that sort of thing.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love midwest basketball, but it's so far from what the rest of the nation plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. What is it you love about it--the clumsy honkiness or final scores that look like halftime scores?

[/ QUOTE ]

every possession is a battle ... the full out effort ... actually earning baskets
Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

every possession is a battle ... the full out effort ... actually earning baskets

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what you meant to say was you like to see glacial tempo.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:10 AM

duke has looked good this season
Old 11-30-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what you meant to say was you like to see glacial tempo.

[/ QUOTE ]

no....i like up tempo....but I like teams willing and allowed to play defense much more
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Come on man, there's less than a 1/100th of a point per possession difference in defense between the Big 10 and the ACC, it's pretty clear that they don't play some sort of super defense but just play at a much, much slower pace.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right--ACC conference play is basically a giant lackadaisical slam dunk competition [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Also, I assume you're a huge women's basketball fan--talk about effort earning baskets.

I will concede that Hoosiers is a great movie, however.