Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Default NL25 - 88 on button vs SB min re-raise

Opponent is 46/14/.8 after about 40-50 hands. Very confused on this hand. Please break down all streets and justify your reasoning.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players

Hero (BTN): $30.60
SB: $22.85
BB: $25.80
UTG: $22
CO: $28

Pre-Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $4</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($8.60) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $8</font>, Hero ???
Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: NL25 - 88 on button vs SB min re-raise

His passivity makes this a pretty easy fold on the flop. I'm calling the min3bet for set value as you did, but when he pots the flop I'm done. If he's bluffing with AK it's a rare move for him and overall I'd say you're well behind his range.

Edit: Actually after only 40-50 hands his aggression factor isn't reliable, but we still can't stand such a strong bet with just a pair.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:33 PM

to be honest, with pokertracker showing final stats, i'm not sure i had the AF read during the hand. ignoring that im guessing youre sticking with a fold?
Old 11-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Well played if you folded the flop. This is an overpair more often than not, I think.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to be honest, with pokertracker showing final stats, i'm not sure i had the AF read during the hand. ignoring that im guessing youre sticking with a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. His PF raise of 14 tells me that he generally sticks to reasonably good hands for his raises. From the BB, when he knows he'll be out of position, that narrows my range for him to generally very strong hands like large PP's, AK, sometimes AQ or AJ, and very rarely a pure bluff.

Considering that range and his willingness to try and build a big pot out of position on this flop, I assume we are well behind his range and we have no odds to try and improve. Calling him down turns our hand into nothing more than an expensive bluff catcher.