Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Golf Forum Sticky (NEW 6/12/07)

There has been some talk recently about having a golf forum on 2+2, so Mat agreed to give the idea a shot in the Mod Playground.

Posting topics can be pretty much anything that seems to make sense. Here's some ideas to get the ball rolling:

-Equipment purchases/suggestions
-Trip reports of courses/rounds you've played
-Tournament discussion
-Cool golf articles/blogs
-Talk about how hot Tiger's wife is
-Swing/course management/whatever tips
-Videos of your swing on YouTube

Obviously there's other things that would make great threads, but hopefully that will get the ball rolling for some of you slow thinkers.

Let us gogogogogogo!

FAQ c/o Butcho22: (to comment go here, to add something PM me)

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is dedicated to helping fellow 2+2er's get started with the game of golf, as well as help the rest of us get better, or perhaps break out of a slump. There has been some talk of a sticky for this type of thread, and Evan is on board with that idea.

Feel free to post your own tips. Please make sure you write out what type of tip/drill you're providing in bold, such as...

Bunker Play, or Driving

This will make it easy for everybody to scan through this thread to locate possible tips/drills for their problem.

Beginner FAQ:

I'm just getting started, should I take lessons?

Most likely, yes. Golf is a very tough game to play. The average golfer quits after playing for only one year. Perhaps if some of them took lessons they would have found the desire to keep playing. I personally believe having fun is the most important thing when you're just getting started. If you're having fun just playing/practicing on your own, don't worry about it. I for one just started playing a ton and didn't get a lesson for ~1.5 years after starting.
If you're struggling to the point that it isn't even enjoyable for you to pay $60 or whatever it is for you to play, by all means take a lesson or two.

How do I find a good instructor?

Every course for the most part has a teaching pro on site. Do not, I repeat...DO NOT let them talk you into buying a package deal (6 lessons for $(x)), until you know you want to work with them. Some instructors are far better than others. If you're looking to see yourself on video, make sure you talk with the instructor about that before you sign up.

I just took a lesson, and now I'm worse...what gives?

This is fairly common. When you make a change in your golf swing, it is very, very awkward. It sucks, but changes/improvements are usually a slow process in this game.

Where should I get some clubs?

For used clubs, Ebay is probably the best place to look. Very low pricing and a large selection. There are other places to buy used clubs but IMO Ebay is the best. You can always call your local golf shops to see if they carry used clubs. I see no reason to buy new unless you just flat out want new clubs.

What type of clubs should I get?

One of the most important things is to get clubs that have the correct shaft flex for your swing speed. There are lots of different flexes nowadays so I would recommend you get fitted once to see what you need. It's worth the ~$50, trust me. If you're really tall, or really short, you may need to get your clubs set either "upright", or "flat", to match up with your height.
Talk to your local pro/club fitter and they can explain this more in depth if you like when you're getting fitted.
As far as actual clubs go, it really depends. Just make sure you get some chunky cavity back irons, as they are much more forgiving than blades.
If your clubs were made after the year 2000, and you have the correct shafts in them, the difference from brand to brand will be minimal for a beginner.
If you're absolutely clueless about what to get, go ahead and PM me your situation and I'd be happy to help you find a set to fit your needs.

What's the best way to practice?

Whatever you do, don't be that guy who pounds driver after driver at the range. It's really true that improving your short game is the fastest way to lower your scores. Go putt or chip for at least half of your practice time.
I'm sure within a short period of time we will build up a nice collection of tips/drills in this thread for you to reference.

Basic Golf Course Etiquette

This will vary if you're playing with all your buddies, but here are some basic rules to follow if you're paired up with random guys for a round.

-Do not talk from the time someone is preparing to hit their shot, until the time the ball has left the clubface.

-Do not walk in somebody's putting line. This is something that I always see beginners forget. Some people will go crazy if you do this, especially if you do it more than once. Be aware of your surroundings on the green, it will become second nature soon enough.

-Play ready golf. You should be ready to hit when it's your turn. There is no need to stand by and watch closely every other shot in your group. Be thinking of what club you may hit when you're walking to your ball from the tee, etc.

-Pull the pin/putt the pin back. Nobody like to have to take care of the flag every single hole. Do your part every few holes.

-DO NOT give fellow golfers tips about their game unless they ask for it first. Some golfers will punch you in the face for less.Just don't do it, no matter how much you think it would help them.

Everybody feel free to add your own thoughts for beginners in this thread. Again, please title your reply with a heading in bold to make for easy browsing.

Tips FAQ

I read a tip and now I'm worse, wtf?

A tip that might take my game to the next level, might make you worse. You have process the tips you hear, try them out, and move on if you don't think it's right for you.

I hear so many tips, how do I know which ones are good?

Process of elimination. Just try it out. Do it in slow motion. Give it some time. If it's just not working for you after really trying, don't worry about it and just move on to something else.

How do I know if I'm doing a drill/tip correctly?

This can be tough for some. Often times we feel like we're making a change, but we're really not. Video taping or having a friend watch you swing/putt/chip is probably the best way to see changes.

I'm sure I'll add many tips to this thread throughout the next few weeks, but for now I'll just start with these two.

Bunker Shots, Pitching:

I can't stress enough how important the follow through is on bunker/pitch shots. This applies to almost all of your shots inside 100 yards.
I'm talking about a FULL follow through...all the way over your left shoulder. This helps you accelerate through impact, and control your distance. I really took my game to the next level by focusing on a full follow through on these shots.
I used to get so frustrated hitting pitch shots from 40 yards. One would be great, the next would be terrible, and so on. I realized that while my backswing may have felt the same each time, I never payed any attention to my follow through. It's much easier to take a proper backswing and grove it for specific distances when you know you're follow through is the same every time.
Now there are times when you want to hit a lower shot, or knock one down...there are times to saw off your follow through. But for the most part you want a nice full one.

Head Position-Release

When you're at address, your chin should not be in your chest. You should be looking down at the ball with you chin more parallel to the ground than to your chest. (I hope that makes sense) On the backswing, your left shoulder will slide under your chin like this ...now hear is the key....on downswing/follow through, your right shoulder should pass under your chin as well,like this . This really helps you stay behind the ball and promotes a proper release.
Your head should not come up until it is actually forced to come up by the rest of your body.

Everybody post their favorite tips or drills so we all have something to refer back to when we're struggling. Sometimes even something as simple as, "Low and Slow" can be the thing that takes a golfers game to the next level. You don't have write a book, just title your tip/drill and post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Closed Thread