Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Don Cheadle beats Phil Ivey, LOL

He's my pick to win it all. All wagers accepted.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Don Cheadle beats Phil Ivey, LOL

I know Phil was not playing up to his 100% which we all know he only does in cash games. We all know Phil doesn't even play to half his skill in most of these poker tourneys, he looks like he doesn't care and would like to be playing golf somewhere.

having said all that, there is just no way, just no way Ivey can let some hollywood producer/director (whatever he is) beat him at poker. It is embarrasing, totally un-balla.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Phil was not playing up to his 100% which we all know he only does in cash games. We all know Phil doesn't even play to half his skill in most of these poker tourneys, he looks like he doesn't care and would like to be playing golf somewhere.

having said all that, there is just no way, just no way Ivey can let some hollywood producer/director (whatever he is) beat him at poker. It is embarrasing, totally un-balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don Cheadle is primarily known as an actor, .. not producter/director. And I agree with you about Ivey's attitude in most tourneys, but i find it hard to believe that with the amount of prestige this tournament has accrued over the past few years that Ivey didn't bring his A-game. How do you know there wasn't just a cooler situation? Set over Set, flush vs river boat etc etc. (I havent looked at the hand histories or anything)
Old 03-03-2007, 05:18 AM

I think Ivey has never made it to round 2 in this event..
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don Cheadle is primarily known as an actor, .. not producter/director. And I agree with you about Ivey's attitude in most tourneys, but i find it hard to believe that with the amount of prestige this tournament has accrued over the past few years that Ivey didn't bring his A-game. How do you know there wasn't just a cooler situation? Set over Set, flush vs river boat etc etc. (I havent looked at the hand histories or anything)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Ivey cares about prestige one iota. I think he cares about the bottom line and maintaining his privacy. Losing on national television makes him seem a lot more mortal, which gets him matches against rich fish who think if Cheadle can do it, they can too. I'm not saying Phil threw it or anything, but I seriously doubt he cares much, if at all.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. If Ivey stumped up $20,000 though and it wasn't a freeroll (I assume that's what an invite means) Phil would probably care a heck of a lot more.

Hmmm. 'Meta game' also an excuse for the likes of Patrik Antonius and David Benyamine?

Well, Ivey ain't gonna be having too many takers wanting to play him in a golf match so he's gotta find the fish somewhere! HAHA!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. If Ivey stumped up $20,000 though and it wasn't a freeroll (I assume that's what an invite means) Phil would probably care a heck of a lot more.

Hmmm. 'Meta game' also an excuse for the likes of Patrik Antonius and David Benyamine?

Well, Ivey ain't gonna be having too many takers wanting to play him in a golf match so he's gotta find the fish somewhere! HAHA!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It is a $25,000 dollar buyin. You do have to be invited to buyin though because no one wants to watch a bunch of nobodies play.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don Cheadle is primarily known as an actor

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, he's primarily known as the guy who pissed me off repeatedly a few years ago in those waaaaaay too serious/dramatic commercials for the NFL playoffs.

Why the hell am I listening to Don Cheadle tell me about the NFL playoffs? How about someone who actually played in the NFL?

At least when Kiefer Sutherland used to do the commercials for the NHL playoffs, it was only a voice over (and he's got a pretty cool voice).
Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Simple variance. Eagles said it well, if you come to a poker forum, you ought to udnerstand it. They wouldn't play the matches if it was pre-decided that someone HAD TO win based on superior skills.

With the blind levels at what they are, anyone can compete in this tournament. Variance with this structure will cause someone like Cheadle to be able to win a decent number out of 100 trials versus ANYONE. If you don't like randoms winning/placing in big events, have professional-only tournaments.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 AM

The blinds were 1.5k/3k when it ended.