Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Interested in starting a keeper basketball league

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking it over, free agency is gonna suck for the first 4 years because players will all be on 4 year contracts to start right?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, draft slotting is working to make some players start as C1, some as C2, and others as C3 to create better free agency pools earlier.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking it over, free agency is gonna suck for the first 4 years because players will all be on 4 year contracts to start right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorta.

There's no good way to make free agency great in years 1 or 2. The draft is important, no way around it.

However, some of the contracts will start off as C2 and others as C3, so there will be at least some upward pressure. But, yes, FA will be somewhat scarce the first few years, which is ok because most teams will have good contracts and not want to dump them to get under the cap. Less supply, but less demand as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Ok cool
Old 09-25-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are the D-league spots open to drafted but unsigned euros?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They have to be in the league.

To clarify, at the beginning of the season you'll select 3 eligible guys (1st or 2nd year in the NBA) to sit on the D-Squad. If you activate any of them, then they cannot return to the D-Squad that year. The only way they return is either at the start of the following year (if they were a rookie), or if you trade them to another team (the new owner has the option to put them on his D-Squad).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely accurate. If you draft someone who's draft-eligible, then he ends up going to/staying in Europe, you can still park him on your d-league.

However, you can't sign someone (via free agency) who isn't in the NBA.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, nobody's on a "4-year contract". Every player is on a one-year deal that may or may not be extended for another year depending on the contract type.

Rookies (Rx contracts) can be retained for up to 4 years at the same salary.
Non-max Veterans (Cx contracts) can be retained indefinitely, but their salary increases each season.
Max Veterans (Mx contracts) can be retained indefinitely, and their salary remains at the max (25% of the cap).

To directly answer your question - the FA pool will be relatively shallow for the first 2-3 years mostly because (a) there won't be 4-year R contracts expiring until 4 years from now, and (b) it takes a few years for the league financial structure to reach a proper equilibrium. As it stands now, we'll be starting with the majority of players priced at or below their "value". The league is designed for the average team to be $15-20M over the cap (much like the NBA).

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question...

Alex
Old 09-25-2007, 10:08 PM

"Can one of you describe how the offseason goes. How are free agents bidded on? I assume they go to the highest bidder?"
FA bidding process is relatively complex, but mirrors the NBA process more or less. FAs go to the highest bidder at the end of the day though.

"I assume if you are over the cap you can't bid on free agents and probably have to do sign and trades right?"
If you're over the cap, you have a midlevel exception ($3.9M this past summer) and that's it. No sign and trades, or at least not in the "NBA" way. You can sign one of your own FAs then trade them later (right before the season starts), or you can retain them and sign them right away before the FA process.

"How is the draft lotto done? What are the percentages? When do we draft for the rookies each year?"
Draft lotto in late May or June. Worst overall gets 8 balls, 2nd worst 7, up to 8th worst (team that most closely missed playoffs) gets 1 ball. Rookie draft is at the end of July, after most summer league action.

"Can teams match any offer for their free agents? How does it work? Any more info you wanna put in is cool too."
No. If you have Bird rights (the summer after C4, M4, R4 year), you can bid on your Bird FA regardless of your cap situation - but you still need to make the highest bid. If you offer $10M and another team offers $15M, you lose the guy. (FWIW, you have the opportunity to rebid, but that's probably more detail than you need now - and the whole FA process in the rules.)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Yes I would like transfer to you on statrs, please PM me your info. Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I would like transfer to you on statrs, please PM me your info. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

freehat has transferred money to me, as well. His Stars name is rather juvenile.

-McGee
Old 09-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Money from kidcolin is in as well. I've nearly lost track, but I think this puts me on the hook for six entries:

The whole Boston crew (EpiPen, GKA, kidcolin -- holla)
sergsz
freehat
And, of course, my own.

-McGee
Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Money from kidcolin is in as well. I've nearly lost track, but I think this puts me on the hook for six entries:

The whole Boston crew (EpiPen, GKA, kidcolin -- holla)
sergsz
freehat
And, of course, my own.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. Also, Matt, Alex, Assani and myself are accounted for. So that's 10/16 already. Getting psyched.