Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Go Pro? advice from Sbrugby

Trust me. College will be one of the best and EASIEST times of your life. You don't need much money to have fun and the snatch is plentiful!

If you think College is hard... then you are a loser.

Poker is a bore when you are grinding for a living... there are much cooler and more exciting professions to strive for... how about owning/starting a Poker mag? Best of both worlds!

Poker and life in general sucks when you are on a losing streak. Why deal with any "losing streaks" if you don't have to... life is too short!

If you work hard and make the right decisions in life you will almost ALWAYS succeed! Poker can kick your arse big time... even when you hold the Aces! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are so many people in college who either don't want to be there or shouldn't be there. It makes sense for those people to focus on other money-making ventures than sinking their money into a college degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy. More than anything else, higher education increases your chance of prosperity, whether you're bored by lectures or not. It only makes sense to skip college if you're more concerned about having free time during the next four years than having a comfortable life for the remaining 50+ years.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

100% agree. College, as in actual college and not the stuff that comes with it, is not fun. You can get the other stuff easily without going to college.

I find poker fun and I suspect anyone that would be able to do it as a living and be very successful would too.

So to say college is fun and poker is not is pretty backwards imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

[ QUOTE ]

Trust me. College will be one of the best and EASIEST times of your life. You don't need much money to have fun and the snatch is plentiful!

If you think College is hard... then you are a loser.

Poker is a bore when you are grinding for a living... there are much cooler and more exciting professions to strive for... how about owning/starting a Poker mag? Best of both worlds!

Poker and life in general sucks when you are on a losing streak. Why deal with any "losing streaks" if you don't have to... life is too short!

If you work hard and make the right decisions in life you will almost ALWAYS succeed! Poker can kick your arse big time... even when you hold the Aces!

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is a beat
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
college is fun. Poker is not. Poker will always be there. College is not as fun when you're 25 and everyone else is 18-22

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure that most of the successful poker players that are foregoing college are having a pretty good time too.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
go to college, get a degree, make money on a consistent basis, that is the way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah aba or cts should def. go to school for 4 years to get a job that might pay $50k/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not many people make much more then that at their first job out of college. If you do then you are one of the lucky ones.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 PM

solid advice didn't need him to tell me that tough
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Townsend: Yeah. It's kind of funny. Last summer I came out and I brought maybe $100,000.00, which is a lot of money for me. And I did really well one night — a quarter million or even more when I was playing some 200/400 no-limit. And a lot of the live pros were just giving me [censored]. Nobody knew who I was. They were just generally just [censored]. One guy challenged me to a heads up, freeze out, dick waving competition, bring a million dollars, whole thing. And then this summer I come out and he's like, "Oh, can I have a loan?" And he was totally sucking up to me and you just gotta realize some people are like that and deal with it accordingly.

[censored] awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

I asked him if it was Matusow...he said no...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
college is fun. Poker is not. Poker will always be there. College is not as fun when you're 25 and everyone else is 18-22

[/ QUOTE ]

look at how profitable poker was say 2yrs ago and look at the state of the games today. poker will not always be as profitable as it was, or even is today.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Personally, I agree with the do both route. In particular, I'd love to have all that money AND be a college student.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dropped out of college at 19 and went back at 24, it wasn't that bad but I look young so people don't ask me to buy them beer or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep getting older, the college chicks just stay the same age.