Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 02:09 AM

Default 2/5 300 max nl B&M couple of interesting hands, majestic star gary IN

1: QQ in bb 9 players at table comments on the turn decision are what i'm looking for, villain has been around two orbits but already looks very reliable for a solid continuation bet and has about $330, button has been around for about an hour now and has only played 2 hands and took both down on flop bets he has $400 or so i have $280.

QQ
4 limps, vilain raise to 30, 1 fold, button call, sb fold, hero calls. (112 in pot)
flop: 357 2 clubs
hero checks, villain bets 45, button folds, hero reraise to 100 --(here is the interesting part, i grabbed chips in both hands but then had to sneeze and the ended up just setting one stack down to cover my sneeze and it ended up a string bet so i only got 100 of the 200 i wanted to raise) villain calls (312)
turn: king
hero bets 100 (i felt that because i got caught on the string bet after the flop if i check here i automatically lose the pot because why would i want to check after not being able to put as many chips in as i wanted to a second before- whereas if i bet i have a chance to win it still beause the K doesn't necessarily help him and it could easily have improved me.) villain calls (512) --comments?
river: jack no flush on board
hero ? ($512)

2. A8s in sb $400 in chips, bb has $1300 and is just getting paid off on the nuts hand after hand by the rest of the table, villain has played everything very straightforward in a very tight ag style with about $420.

1 fold, villain calls, all fold to sb- hero in sb calls, bb checks ($15)
flop: A34 rainbow
hero checks, bb checks, villain checks (15)
turn: A 2 clubs now
hero bets 15, bb folds, villain calls (45)
river 2 3 clubs on board
hero checks, villain bets 30, hero ?

3. 77 utg into a blind steal - i'm lost on the river? sb quiet tag $240 bb lpp fish.

hero calls, all fold to sb, sb completes, bb checks (15)
flop 238 rainbow
sb bets 10, bb fold, hero calls (i'm thinking he could easily be betting a 2 or a 3 here with these rags coming out) (35)
turn 4
sb checks, hero checks (35)
river 10
sb checks, hero ?
i'm lost on this river i'm not sure if i can value bet this although i really want to...

still fairly new to nl cash- i'm just moving over from sng's how do these hands look?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Re: 2/5 300 max nl B&M couple of interesting hands, majestic star gary

1) A word of advice on string-betting: get really mad. No, im serious, it really helps.

It happened to me tonight.

Tard limped early
everyone folds to me in BB w 43, I check.

Flop comes Qs4d9s

I check, he bets out $15 into the $10 pot, looks like a steal, I call.

The turn comes 6h, I check, he bets $30

NOTE: When this guy bluffd, each of his bets would get smaller and smaller relative to the size of the pot.

I decide to end it so I grab a $100 stack and match his $30, then I ask how much he has left. He pushes his stack towards me and I line it up.

The dealer asked, "Whats going on?"

I tell her, "I raised."

The dealer says, "I didnt hear you say raise."

I pretend like Im pissed, "My chips never left the middle! Where you even paying attention?, I raised and he called."

The dude screams, "I never called!" and he takes his chips outta the middle. "You just asked how much I had, you didnt say raise!"

Dealer: "I didnt hear you say raise sir, you just called."

Inside Im delighted, things went perfectly.

The rivers a Jack, and I lead out.

The dude: "After all that fuss, Im folding."

Just a little trick Ive picked up, use it wisely :P
Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 AM

so you deliberately lie and angle shoot, seems like a plan guy.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:27 AM

I didnt lie, I meant to raise him. If someone grabs a huge stack, puts his hand in the middle, sections off the call, and then pushes the rest towards you asking how much you have left...thats a raise. When he pushed his chips towards mine and left them there, thats a call.

A string bet is when you reach back for more chips, which I didnt do.

If i had wanted a call there, all I had to do was ask for the floor, theyd of checkd the cameras, and theyd of seen a raise and a call. Obviously, I didnt want a call so I let him take his chips outta the pot.

I never lied...but yea, I did angel shoot.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:02 PM

Hand 1:
Re-raise pre-flop. There's $80 in the pot when it gets to you, which is about 25% of your stack. You should be happy to take it down right there. I'd re-raise to about $140 and call a push or you could just push yourself. With about 60 bbs, getting it all-in with QQ is not a bad idea. Also, if you smoothcall, it becomes likely that the limpers will call the raise, and QQ isn't gonna be doing so hot with 4+ players in the pot.
As played, I think the pot is 4-handed b/c there's 112 in the pot, but you didn't say if one of the limpers called. If it's 4-handed, I'd lead out for about $90-100 and push if raised. If it's 3-handed, I'd CRai, b/c you have good relative position to the pf raiser.

On the turn, there's $312 in the pot and you bet $100. That's really weak. I think you only have about $150 anyway, so just put it all-in.

2. Bet flop. Check turn. Fold river.

3. I'd check behind on the river. Most rational players will fold to a river bet, b/c with that dry flop, there's really no busted draws you could be betting. If the guy's retarded like most live players are, you could bet $15 if you think he'll look you up with something like A2, A3, or 45.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:38 PM

I have played at the MJS, and I find that the players generally suck there. Also, when I played it was a $200 max 2/5 game, when did they make it $300 max?

Hand 1
I think you messed this one up with your bet sizes. First off, you gotta raise that pf, get some of these players out of the pot. Also, your stack is fairly shallow, so raising here allows you to commit yourself on a good flop.

As played, you ment to bet $200, but only put out $100 out on the flop, nothing you can do after the fact. Something I learned when playing there was to put my cards in front of my chips(with a protector on them) and mess around with my chips behind the cards so as I will never string bet. Obviously you should try not to sring bet, as it can mess the entire hand up.

On the turn you have ~$150 left, less than a PSB, so I would probably just stick it in there. As played you bet $100 of your $150 into a $315 pot, and he called. You now have $50 left on the river, I don't see him folding anything for $50 into a $500 pot

Hand 2
I would lead flop, lead turn and check/call river. As played I would probably just fold to his river bet, if he is playing fairly straightforward, he most likely has you beat. Not really much you can do on this hand.

hand 3
I think a value bet on the river here is kinda thin, I would just check and hope to take the pot down.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:57 PM

thanks for help guys, i'm not sure when they changed but now they offer a 1-2 40min 100max nl as well as the 2-5 100 min 300 max, and friday they also had 5-10 300 min 600 max running.

hopefully i'll have some better played hands to post in a couple weeks, i'm going to become a MJS regular on payday weekends i think.

dm