Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 03:24 PM

Default PT Stat that gives best indication for BLUFFING FREQUENCY!

I currently display 5 stats:

VPIP (For obvious reason)
PFR (Dito)
Fold BB to Steal (Can I steal their blind?)
Total # Hands (Sample Size)
Net $ Won (Overall indicator of their success)

I know that NET $ WON is a very weak indicator of one's oveall success, but I feel that it gives me some indication of how the player has been running recently or done against me in the past. Suggestions on a better "success" indicator?

I am looking for suggestions in improving my choices of displayed stats.

What stat would you suggest would help with offering knowledge that one is "likey making a move" with a check/raise, etc... When I am holding a moderate hand, I would like to be able to feel more confident (based on their stats) in making the laydown, call or re-raise. I know I lay down to check-raised draws (or complete BS) WAY TO OFTEN and would like to have a better "read" on making those pivotal decisions according to "stat x"?????????????

Thank You
Old 07-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: PT Stat that gives best indication for BLUFFING FREQUENCY!

AF works for me. I think aggression factor is a mandatory stat, and I recommend you consider adding it. After all, you're more likely to be bluffed by an AF = 3.7 opponent than by an AF = 0.2, right?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AF works for me. I think aggression factor is a mandatory stat, and I recommend you consider adding it. After all, you're more likely to be bluffed by an AF = 3.7 opponent than by an AF = 0.2, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

AF is not an accurate measure of aggression as a stand along statistic. Aggression Factor is a more accurate measurement, but it should also be using in conjunction with other stats to determine the opponent's profile.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM

No doubt, but if I were to add only one more stat, that would be the one. PRF% and AF (aggression factor) go a long way toward figuring out how capable someone is of a bluff. I personally like to note any occasion where I see a bluff and note if it was stone-cold, semi-, into a tough vs. ragged board, etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Re: PT Stat that gives best indication for BLUFFING FREQUENCY! *DELETED*

Post deleted by efficacy
Old 08-01-2006, 06:10 PM

How about won showdown when raised turn. This one might be good, but it would take a ton of hands to converge. I have this one on my HUD but don't use it too much.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 PM

Nothing can substitute for observation and note-taking. However, in addition to AF, looking at how often someone goes to showdown is a useful stat. People who bluff often are more likely to go to showdown than people who rarely or never bluff. For one, they will often end up getting caught showing down a bluff that a more conservative player would have folded. But more importantly, people who bluff a lot tend to be action players who go after a lot of pots and combine their aggressive bluffing with a fair amount of calling down with marginal hands. (The other value of W2SD% is that it indicates how likely a player is to call value bets on later streets with marginal hands.)

Be a bit careful when using W2SD%. I usually combine it with W$SD%. If someone is going to showdown a lot and winning a lot of showdowns (over a small sample of say < 500 - 1000 hands), then probably he is just running hot. And vice versa.