Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Default xbox live in NYC

I moved into an apartment 2 months ago in NYC. We have Time Warner cable and internet service. The xbox live connection is probably only good enough to play without lag 60-70 percent of the time.

It seems that the worse times are nights and weekends which would back my theory that everyone using their Time Warner internet kills my connection. There are also 3 other roomates with laptops, I would assume that slows it down also.

I wonder if anyone has experience with xbox live in NYC. I was thinking of getting my own internet connection in my room. That would help bc my roomates would not slow my connection, but i assume that the others in my building would. I was also thinking of getting verizon FIOS. This seems to be a better option bc not many people in NYC have it. I appreciate any help. Thanks/
Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: xbox live in NYC

You want DSL offered by your phone company, rather than Cable - which is a shared bandwidth (like you said, the more people in your general area who are using it, the slower it will be). DSL speed remains constant regardless of if your neighbors have it/are using it.

Also, your roommates' laptops probably play no small part in you being unable to connect to Live... again solved by getting your own connection.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM

I would suggest switching your internet to fios. They have a 30mb/s for like 40 a month and a 60mb/s for 80. Get your roommates to switch with you to the 30mb/s and this should fix your problems without much extra cost to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

is Verizon FIOS available in NYC?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is Verizon FIOS available in NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]
IDK try www.verizon.com
Old 11-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Yes, FIOS is now available. I'm on the UES near 95th street and they hooked it up in our building a few months ago. Even had reps in the lobby trying to get people to sign up.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM

I have RCN (would not recommend it for Cable TV) and have no problems with LIVE or lag at any hour of the day or night. If I were staying here longer, I'd easily gone for FIOS. But they need a 12 month contract and I don't plan on staying here that long.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have RCN (would not recommend it for Cable TV) and have no problems with LIVE or lag at any hour of the day or night. If I were staying here longer, I'd easily gone for FIOS. But they need a 12 month contract and I don't plan on staying here that long.

[/ QUOTE ]
They will allow you to continue the contract at you new place and if they don't offer it there you get out of the contract I believe. Win/win?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM

I most likely will move out to Queens (or possibly abroad) after the lease is up here and AFAIK, FIOS hasn't gotten to a majority of Queens yet. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]