Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: NBA Defensive Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of players are wayyyyy off, dont feel like picking all of them out though. How many bonus points did Horry get for playing next to Tim Duncan and Tony Parker?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For all the haters...

Please show me a better defensive metric. This is extremely complicated stuff to put numerically, and I'm impressed with this set of data.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no good defensive metrics. Maybe this is the best, but it still pretty much sucks. Maybe use the Artdogg System, where you ask Artdogg who is a better defender between player A and player B and he gives you the correct answer.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:31 AM

But if merely being on a team that plays good defense is enough to throw off the metric how valuable can it be? Donyell Marshall is not a better defensive player than Ben Wallace, so to use this stat effectively we are going to have to do some sort of adjustment for team quality? That's kind of absurd.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Artdogg,

Nash or Ditka?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if merely being on a team that plays good defense is enough to throw off the metric how valuable can it be? Donyell Marshall is not a better defensive player than Ben Wallace, so to use this stat effectively we are going to have to do some sort of adjustment for team quality? That's kind of absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is really, really, really hard to remove team influence from defensive metrics. It's even a problem in baseball where the pitchers, parks, and defensive schemes of teams throw things out of whack.

Surely you can imagine how the team can affect the devensive performance of a player. On a good defensive team, bad players cover worse options, get better help from double teams, and can get bailed out when they make bad plays.