Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 07:37 AM

Default I CAN BE YOUR HERO, BABY (2/4)

Villain had been repopping liberally, and was very aggro postflop.

I have no NL cash experience, but his line was just weird as [censored].

And wtf do I do on the turn other than make this goofy bet?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($821.80)
Hero ($615.50)
SB ($110)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $40</font>, Hero calls $28.

Flop: ($82) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $56</font>, Hero calls $56.

Turn: ($194) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $180</font>, Hero calls $100.

River: ($554) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $545.8 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $339.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $1439.30
Old 10-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Re: I CAN BE YOUR HERO, BABY (2/4)

[ QUOTE ]
And wtf do I do on the turn other than make this goofy bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's been overaggro and repopping you frequently, you shouldn't be making such a weak ass turn bet here. According to your read, he's very likely to repop you with a wide range of hands.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 AM

i dont like it. fold pf, take your stands with stronger hands...give up when he c/r you on the turn, this almost never a worse hand imo.
btw...this thread is funny
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 AM

Right, and I have no problem calling any raise from him. The reason I made it small was to further induce that raise, and to keep the pot manageable. If I'm betting 120 here and he repops to like 320, well... wtf?

I think checking behind sucks because I'm calling a bet from him on like 90% of the rivers, and I have no clue if he's only value-betting rivers or if he's throwing out bluffs as well.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 AM

i think you should either:
a. bet/fold the turn (bet more probably)
or
b. check turn and call most decent river bets.
i'd go for checking the turn and calling a river bet...but that's just my preference. this board is pretty drawless so i'm not too worried about giving free cards
Old 10-07-2006, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, and I have no problem calling any raise from him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then what's the problem? To be honest, if he's as aggressive as you say, you should still wait for a better hand to take a stand on, IMO. His bluffs can beat you and there will most certainly be better spots if he's a maniac.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I made it small was to further induce that raise, and to keep the pot manageable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? Do you also stay awake for weeks at a time to get a good night's rest? Betting small to induce a raise to keep the pot at a manageable size makes absolutely no sense. You should be betting small and hoping for a call to keep the pot manageable. And it's doubtful that weak bet will only get called by him if your description is accurate.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm betting 120 here and he repops to like 320, well... wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, easy fold? This is the reason you don't play hands like T9 against someone hyperaggressive. If you're sure you have the best hand with something this weak I think you should check behind and let the maniac bluff the river so you can snap it off.

[ QUOTE ]
I think checking behind sucks because I'm calling a bet from him on like 90% of the rivers, and I have no clue if he's only value-betting rivers or if he's throwing out bluffs as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have no idea if he's only value betting the river or bluffing as well, why would you have any idea what his range is on the turn?

Check behind and call river is much better than induce a bluff and have no idea wtf is going on when he raises, which is very likely for him to do.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:11 AM

so this is what it feels like when i make fun of people in mttf...
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 AM

I wasn't really making fun of you, bro. Sorry if it came off that way. Did what I say make sense, though? Let maniacs bluff you with good hands. Don't bet against a maniac if you're unsure what to do when he raises. Basically go to war with a plan.

What makes you think he's capable of bluffing so huge anyway? How long have you guys been going back and forth? Any past history?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM

having no idea where you are against players like this with hands like 10 9 is not very profitable. Easy to make gigantic mistakes when you are lost in the hand. You should have folded preflop. If you really thought he was repopping a lot you can consider 4-betting him. 10 9o is not the hand you want to call his raise.

"I'm comfortable calling any bets/raises from him" this logic may apply when you're only talking about 1 big bet and you're getting like 8 to 1, but when it means you're going to get stacked for 150 blinds when you make a middle pair with 10 9, uhh, you shouldn't be playing NL.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM

no, no, i have a loooong way to go. i'm pretty good at mtt's and i'm pretty good at limcash, but i have some serious leaks at 150xbb deep. keep it coming please.

no past history at all really. just maybe 1 hour at this point on two tables together. i think the only other hand that had gone to showdown was the 567 flop in my other thread (he was SB who led out). He wasn't quite the maniac I think I seem to have made him out to be, but I think he's repopping pretty light preflop here, even OOP.