Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Default Middle Limit Hold em by Caffoine and Brier

Has anybody read this book. I've read a couple good reviews mixed in with some semi-bad ones. I heard the big positive is all of the hand problems in it, but not everyone agrees with the conclusions. Also if you want to throw in any more reviews...Yaos "Weighing the Odds" (sounds like theres nothing really new here) and Greensteins "Ace in the Hole" are 2 others I was thinking of. I know Barry's isn't alot of strategy, but I think Id like a book about poker philosophy and the life.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Middle Limit Hold em by Caffoine and Brier

In my opionion MLHE is worth reading but you have to take the advice with a grain of salt. Reading this book I noticed that he recommend folding a lot of good hands like top pair-top kicker if facing a raise on the turn. Ciaffone definitely had other games in my mind that the ones I have played in where this kind of weak-tight play will get you crushed. Lots of others on these forums seem to agree.
Nevertheless I think you can something out of it even if you come to different conclusion on how to play the practice hands.
I have to give this book credit for fixing a leak I had in the way I played unimproved AK. That alone was worth the price of the book many times over.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Use the search function...
Forum: Books/Publications
Keyword (subject): middle
Date range: 1 year
Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 PM

It's my second favorite limit book. (SSH is first)
Dramatically improved my game.

However, as everyone said, there are times when he folds too easily. The key to this book is he is assuming opponents.
a) are all solid
b) rarely, if ever get out of line

So you have to make sure you recognize that in most games, players get out of line , and you have to call a little more than the book recommends.

I however, was calling a LOT more, and realized some serious leaks in my game through this book. It also gives you tons of ideas on what to think about during a hand.
Structures your thought process.

Excellent book.
I give it 9/10
Old 10-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I really like it a lot. the first time I read it, I thought to myself, "How can I evr make these kind of folds?" He is a firm believer in the big laydown whereas in the games that I normally play, big laydowns are not a good idea. But please remember, he didn't write the book for the games that I normaly play. It is written for really tough games against good opponents.

I have learned a lot from Middle Limit Holdem and actually I am rereading it right now.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 AM

It changed the way I look at poker. It is DEFINITELY worth a read.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:50 AM

The use of problems sets this book apart from most. While most posters here think Bob is too weak-tight (actually they think almost every author is too weak tight) the massive number of problems makes this book well worth the price. This was one of the first poker books I ever read and I believe that it stands the test of time.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:57 AM

If you can, try to find Mason's review of the MLH book and others using the search function, if you haven't already. He says it best. Capsule review: If you understand the shortcomings of the book, you will probably find it improves your game with a lot of study. The other books you mentioned are both worth reading as well.