Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Ace/King out of position???

Large raises with AK generally serve to get the pot heads up. Large reraises with AK generally serve to steal the pot preflop or against people raising light. If there is evidence you'll be playing a lot after the flop no matter what you do, there's nothing wrong with keeping the pot small with a TP hand. If it's likely there'll be a raise after you, then limp/call with AK. Just play the hand if you flop something, otherwise fold. You're not going to make a ton of money with AK anyway even if you hit it, unless you're in a game with donkeys who are going to pay you off a lot with their lame kickers or middle pair. I know a lot of players who wouldn't lose any money if they just folded AK preflop every time, and some who would save a lot of money if they did so.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:00 PM

OK, so your cbets get raised when you whiff. That is unpleasant. When I first moved from NL10 to NL25 I thought "wow the level of play is really better here; my cbets aren't being respected". After a few days or so it suddenly ended - I am now thinking it was just variance.

I see a couple of things you can do:
a) Watch if that's always one or a few players (LAGs). I've played with a guy who will raise every single cbet. Every single one of them. I just stopped cbetting him until I hit my hand and then his raise with T4o unimproved was for my value.
b) Cbet less unimproved. Don't cbet every time if you are up against good opponents; Harrington recommends cbetting 60% of the time.
c) Wait. You will hit your flop eventually.
d) Don't overplay TPTK when you do hit. That's the mistake I do most often after a dry spell.

Unfortunately, I also sometimes do:
e) 4-bet your AK unimproved as you take it villain (LAG) is bluffing. Villain calls with bottom pair and you get stacked.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Point well taken. I never fall in love with the whole ace/king thing or two big cards, but it's just tough when you're seeing ace/king, ace/queen,king/queen suited, queen/jack suited over and over and over and you're missing every board and you're dumping waiting for the next one and it never comes, haha. The pocket pairs you're up against are holding up and as norman chad says "It would take a court order to fold this". I really appreciate all the advice and Juu thanks for taking the time to give me your input. Appreciate that.