Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock)

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...not exactly.

He helped influence it, but he certainly didn't 'start' it.

That said, he was a great songwriter.

b

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh I'd say his song writing skills were mediocre at best.

What he is most over-rated for though is his skill on guitar. On Rolling Stones list of 100 greatest guitarist he was ranked ~13th. That is simply ridiculous, there is no way any of his musical work on guitar can stand up to anyone else considered to be a great guitarist. His riffs and solos with Nirvana were unbelievably simple, and IMO quite boring and mundane.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock) and jump started the whole grunge rock scene. He also was one of the hardest working musicians in the business.

Man, these are bad examples.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kurt wasnt in the Pixies

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt wasn't in the Melvins, either. He was a roadie for them, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working title for 'Smells Like Teen Spirit': 'Pixies Rip-Off Song'

AlterNet

[ QUOTE ]
When, in a 1994 Rolling Stone interview, Kurt Cobain famously admitted that Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was just another Pixies rip-off, he wasn't telling the Pixies diehards anything they didn't already know: He was just clueing in the suckers who thought that the Pixies upgraded soft-loud dynamic began and ended with Nirvana's "Nevermind."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DMB - They are an ok band that is WAY overrated. Dave is a solid guitarist and has a unique voice that some people can't stand. The drummer is BY FAR the best musician in the group and makes the band IMO. Everyone else is pretty replaceable.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. The drummer is his own show. But I have to give props to Steffan, when I first started playing bass he was my challenge. I had the hardest time keeping up with him.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:15 PM

Aerosmith
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM

Although I consider Nirvana and Cobain not to be overrated I have to simply laugh at the notion that they invented "alternative rock" or for that matter even the Seattle/Pacific Northwest grunge sound. It seems to me that alternative rock was an outgrowth of the new wave movement, with groups like REM, the Smiths, XTC, and more obscure groups like Aztec Camera carrying the flag. I'd say alt-rock was pretty well established as a genre by 1984, seeing as I lived through that era and listened to a lot of it.

The Seattle grunge sound had already been established by 1986 or 1987 as I clearly remember watching grunge pioneers Green River opening at a club for Jane's Addiction in late '86 or early '87. If I recall correctly Green River spawned Pearl Jam and one or two other well-known grunge groups. I thought they were crap, but that's a different story. They probably weren't even the first but they were early in the movement and they did have a lot of buzz.

I think it's fair to say that the pop sensibility Cobain and company brought to the grunge sound helped to put it over the top in terms of popularity but to claim they invented whole genres is pretty far-fetched.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:53 PM

WHOOOO MOTHER LOVE BONE!!!!!!!!!

RIP Andrew Wood
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I nominate Metallica as overrated.. Basically a pop band who get held up as some sort of heavy rock demi-gods.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes. They are outstanding, even if they are not my favorite type of music. They did some great stuff with odd timings (blackened), ultra heavy grooves (fade to black), cool overlays and mixtures (Justice for all), and some wicked awesome crunch solos. I am a huge satriani, vai, eddie, malmsteen, lynch fan. But, I think probably the greatest solo ever is on justice for all. The tone is just perfect and the sound awesomely raw.

To overrated, there is no one more overrated than Petty. Mediocre lyrics with mediocre music.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:31 PM

I wasn't aware that Beck was held in the same regard as The Doors, Dead, The Who, etc. I don't think he is overrated because the average person can only name a couple of his songs.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM

RHCP ftw
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RHCP ftw

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. So many of my friends elevate them to some insane level instead of what they are: a good, consistent rock band.

An example of this is calling the 2006 Voodoo Fest lineup better than the upcoming 2007 lineup.

2006: RHCP, Duran Duran, My Chemical Romance, Kings of Leon

2007: Rage Against the Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, Wilco, Kings of Leon