Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Is anybody else closing out their accounts?

I made a total of $9K at SSNL over 2 years. It's small compared to most of you, but I really really enjoyed playing.

This new bill is just too much, so I'm probably one of the first to make a run on the bank at party poker.

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker:

Now that the United States has a bill about to become law that specifically outlaws on-line gambling, I would like to close my account. I have a bonus due to me, but I don't want to wait for it because it won't come until after that bill becomes law. Please keep all my party points, keep my bonus money, and close my account. I do not want to have an account with you. Hopefully we will get a law making doing business with you legal, but until that time I don't want to have an account in my name on your system. Please close my account and let me know when you have done so. At that point, I will sadly uninstall your software and wait for a more enlightened approach to gambling from our government.

Once again, close my account and e-mail me when you have done so. I think you run a great site and I will miss playing there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that there is debate on whether playing, as opposed to funding, is illegal, but I think the spirit of the bill is very clear. The Congress of the United States wants gambling controlled by the states and plans to eliminate, as much as possible, the interstate and international gambling that goes on via the internet from US personal computers.

So, I plan to take my bankroll to the local card room once or twice a week.

The funny thing is that to pursue my hobby, the family-friendly congress is going to be setting it up for me to spend more time away from home, playing at higher stakes, and with smaller stacks (making skill slightly less important than luck) than I would playing .5/1 and 1/2 on-line. It's kind of ironic.

One last thing, I realize that the Democrats aren't exactly pro-gambling, but none of this would have happened without the Republican morality police in Washington, so I plan to vote for the Dem's from now on. Except for Arnold, our gov., of course, since he's practically a Dem in Rep's clothing anyway.