Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been waiting so long to have an excuse to say this...

As my OOT thread from not too long ago proved, I remember everything. Including the Zelda triforce avatar you had.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been waiting so long to have an excuse to say this...

well, you should be very proud.... i guess.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: France vs Italy, Sunday, July 9th - World Cup Final

Just a short reply because after reading 500+ posts, it looked like one giant tool fest.

As for the game, I watched it at the Italian club in Hartford in their Little Italy section. They closed off part of the street and wheeled a Jumbotron in so people could stand in the street and watch the game. Between the many Italian clubs and the jumbotron, I estimate there was about 20,000 people there to watch, and most were Italians.

The game was great. Not as good as the Italy/Germany game, but a great game nonetheless. After the first half, I thought the Italians were dominating and gonna roll in the second half. It seemed that after Lippi took out Totti, Italy really lost control in the midfield which led to France's dominance in the 2nd half. As for the overtime, it seemed like it was one bad move after another taking out Ribery and Henry, but the absolute worst move was made by the great Zidane. Whatever made him do what he did shouldn't matter. He was possibly 10 minutes from leading his country to their second world cup in 8 years. Millions of people would have just sucked it up and beat Materrazi over the head with the trophy after the game. I believe his headbutt made him one of the biggest sports goats in history.

In the shootout, I was worried about the Italian shooters more than Buffon's ability. Boy was I wrong. Buffon guessed wrong every time, but Barthez wasn't up to the task and the Azzuri go on to win the cup.

Back in Hartford, all hell broke loose and a party in the street insued until about 11:00 according to the newscasts. I left with my wife and daughter around 8:00. I didn't watch the trophy ceremony because I wanted to watch the craziness in the streets. I got to watch the replay of the ceremony today and it brought back all my memories of the 82 cup. I took a few pictures of the celebration. If anyone had a similar experience with pics, post them to this thread.

You can see the jumbotron in one of the pics. Its over 5 blocks away. I also enjoyed the red, white, and green Caddy.

Joe