Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 05:00 AM

Default PLO $100 - Isolating vs drawing hand

I may have been too ambitious/creative on this one. I wasnt even sure about the preflop call, but I was closing the action so I went for it. I had UTG+1 firmly on AA, and according to my notes he plays it very cautiously postflop. I was looking to hit the flop hard or fold, and then UTG+1 checked and CO bet the flop in such a way that I put him on a drawing hand (some combination of straight and flush draws) and so I tried to knock out the AA.

what do you think of
1) the preflop call
2) the flop raise

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$1
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Fiasco: $107.85
UTG+1: $144.80
MP1: $146
MP2: $113
MP3: $83
CO: $103
Button: $48
SB: $90.05
BB: $104.50

Pre-flop: (9 players) Fiasco is UTG with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Fiasco calls $1 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $2)</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $5</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, Fiasco calls $4 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $15)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $28</font>, 2 folds, CO calls, SB calls, Fiasco calls $23 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $91)</font>.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($115, 4 players)
SB checks, Fiasco checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $25</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Fiasco raises to $75</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO calls all-in $50</font>.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($265, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $265)

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($265, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $265)

Results:
Final pot: $265
<font color="#ffffff">Fiasco shows 3H 7H KD KH </font>
<font color="#ffffff">CO shows 9H 8D JH10S </font>
Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: PLO $100 - Isolating vs drawing hand

This looks a bit suicidal to me, when your correct and he has a draw you could still be loosing and when your wrong and he has a set your completely screwed, plus even aces have 2 cards to go with them, UTG+1 could easily have Axd and be priced in for a call leaving you between a better draw and a better hand.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:07 AM

Yah this is far too risky a play.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when your correct and he has a draw you could still be loosing

[/ QUOTE ] this is certainly true, but seeing as Im putting in 75 to win 190, I think hed need a full wrap plus flush draw to make it -EV for me.

[ QUOTE ]
and when your wrong and he has a set your completely screwed

[/ QUOTE ] This is also true. It would be really weird of him to value bet that flop with a set though, unless he also had nut flush draw to go with it. Which is not a completely unreasonable hand for him to have I suppose. Even then it would be weird to bet small with straight draws on the board.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 could easily have Axd and be priced in for a call leaving you between a better draw and a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ] This too is worrisome, but Id have to think that after a preflop reraise, hed bet the flop with AA and the nut flush draw, especially a flop with this many straight draws against so many people.

While none of the scenarios you present seem all that likely, I think that Im getting trounced hard enough when they DO happen that it could very well push the play into -EV. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:18 AM

this is slightly ahead/way behind. its better to just pick a better spot.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 AM

This is spewing. You have overpair and nothing extra. You do not have enough money to drive CO out of pot.

Fold and wait for better spot.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 AM

I wasnt trying to drive CO out of the pot, I was trying to drive UTG+1 out of the pot and get HU vs CO.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 AM

I understand it, but your hand does not have much showdown value and if you are drawing, you are drawing very thin. If you had more fold equity, raising would be better play.

Just let it go.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:04 AM

You should not call the reraise - 22% of your stack. Either fold or reraise preflop. Kings double suited is fine if you think it is probably the best hand. If the reraiser probably has aces here, then fold.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:19 PM

excellent. thank you for advice. should my pot odds be considered when deciding this (I was getting 4 to 1) or should I mainly be just thinking of cost relative to stack size. How much of my stack SHOULD I be willing to call preflop with this hand? around 10%?

My hand was not double suited and was almost certainly not the best hand by the way.