Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 05:04 PM

Default **OFFICIAL 2007 Cleveland Indians Thread**

Go Tribe!

Starting rotation seems good. 3rd in AL ERA last year, should be able to come close to that. CC is rocking a size 56 jersey, 2nd only to Wells in MLB. Hope the big guy stays healthy this year. Gonna be tough for them to pay him for many more seasons.

Bullpen got older but perhaps more solid in the late innings which we know was a big reason for so many losses last year. Borowski is iffy healthwise but OK if not hurt. Roberto Hernandez could go either way. A bit of leadership in the bullpen will be a good addition even if these guys are not awesome performers on the mound.

Outfield seems to have improved with Trot Nixon and DeLucci getting a run out. Grady is Grady. Would have been nice to get a real lead-off man so he could be in the 3 hole though. Michaels needs to improve over last year. Maybe some pressure from Nixon for a spot will help motivate him.

Infield D was a huge reason for last years losses and does not seem to have gotten much better. Will be a young crew all the way around. Marte needs to prove he can play at this level daily. Barfield is still an unknown quantity for me. Peralta had Lasik in the off-season but who knows if that will help or not. We'll see if Garko makes the team out of Spring Training. Biggest roster battle seems to be for infield utility with Luna, Inglett and a few others going for that spot. I like Inglett last year but his range at short is lacking.

Victor will hit for sure but his arm is ridiculously bad. I can't see a play-off caliber team giving up steals so easily. No sign that he improved in this area in the off-season.

Pronk will kick butt as usual. The guy is a total stud.

Top scorers in the AL last year. If we can improve back end of the pen and infield D I see a few more wins. Probably still hovering around the .500 mark, IMO, since the division will probably be super tough again this year. But anything can happen.

Go Tribe!
Old 03-01-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: **OFFICIAL 2007 Cleveland Indians Thread**

I have absolutely no clue what to expect from this team. I would love to see a playoff push, but highly doubt it even though they are definitely capable.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM

holla
Old 03-01-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see a play-off caliber team giving up steals so easily. No sign that he improved in this area in the off-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The eight MLB playoff teams last year were ranked 3rd, 8th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 21st, 24th, and 29th in SB% against. In other words, they're not really related. I wouldn't sweat SB.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 PM

PD says Lee will miss his first spring training start with a strained ab muscle.

Byrd has added a split finger, which he was taught by John Smoltz in the off-season. Apparently used it with some success in yesterday's 13-2 win over the Astros.

KJS
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 PM

Prospectus has the Hope and Faith column about the Indians on their site. It's a good read.

I'll add my thoughts later, but I like the Tribe to win 90 games this year.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prospectus has the Hope and Faith column about the Indians on their site. It's a good read.

I'll add my thoughts later, but I like the Tribe to win 90 games this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

linky??
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 PM

link here to BP article

It's subscriber only, but it's a good read.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM

Heard an interview with Shapiro last week on Rome's radio show. He basically stated that the bullpen needed big improvement as you allude too. He stated that he would get more consitently better performance from the veterans in that they have experience in handling the ups and downs of the baseball season better than the younger players they relied on last year.

Thanks for starting the thread btw.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Why are there two Tribe fans in Seattle. I understand Kyle, but what's KJS's excuse?