Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: ** Lounge Poker Talk **

Poker isn't being kind to me at the moment. Props are though. Surprised at the many negative opinions of NL holdem.

I am one of those annoying fools who will only play NL Hold'em, though I've been working on learning some other games, 2-7 triple draw being my favourite so far, and I am always willing to play other games live as long as the stakes are comfortable for me.

I'm missing being at Uni at the moment because the joy of frequent and very entertaining live games is being withheld.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:56 PM

I went busto after running terribly playing at Foxwoods. I had just grinded up $1200 to play with, turned 21, and gave it a shot. Then I had a high-stakes friend stake me for $200NL 6max. I 9tabled it at Stars and ran at ~3.5BB/100Hands over 12k hands or so. Then I started playing MTT's on the side too. Then crazy shenanigans happened to my friend and I am out of business.

I searched BBV for the "apply for staking" threads, PMed the guys that started them, but they're not doing it anymore. So I started this thread and it was locked very quickly. And now I am on the verge of getting a job, but I'd rather live like a bum for months off of spare change + ebaying random stuff. I'm still trying to get staked.

Holla loungeoids. (ooh just realized i should post in the cheese threads and such.)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM

I've actually kind of lost interest in poker and wish I could get back into it. I was always low stakes anyway, but just wish I could get more passion for it. I've read many books including Harrington's, but have no desire to trek to AC and play in tourneys, though I still like going and playing limit games. Maybe I should switch to no limit??? to try and get the spark back?? I still play, but not like before - any advice appreciated.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhoo - things started out okay, but within an hour I was down $400. Just like that. Which is roughly just over half my roll on Stars at the moment. I realized that its just too easy to tilt playing heads up, AND I have no idea really how to play heads up. I reached a point (and I'm sure we've all been there) where you don't even think anymore. It's like you know you're being stupid and donktastic and what not, but you just keep hitting that raise button.

So then what do I do? The most illogical thing possible obviously and took a shot at 3/6. Where I got dealt AA three times in 15 minutes and lost with all three. But I can't even blame the cards for the most part.

Sigh. Back to the microlimits. I wish I had the patience to play full-ring, but I just can't handle how slow it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like me 4 months ago. I was a pretty decent winning 1/2 and 2/4 sh O8 player. Then in one night I lost 70% of my roll. Even though I know it wass mostly tilt, playing tired, and buzzed, it still just killed my psyche and my brain hasn't recovered.
I now just have fun in the micro's. I am currently rebuilding the br, but not with any purpose...

[ QUOTE ]
There's the problem. I can't handle playing more than 3 tables at once. My brain goes on overload. I blame years of heavy substance abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
This also sounds like me....we seem to have lots in common. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 AM

Alobar - solid, solid post. Thank you. In fact, your post really made me think about things, and it put a lot in perspective. I KNOW that when I'm thinking and my game is on, I can beat any limit up to and including 5/10. And the scenario you described is pretty much exactly my situation. Run good, feel good. Run a bit bad, move up and lose.

[ QUOTE ]
dont mean to kick dirt in your eye or anything, but ask yourself what you really want to get out of poker. If its actually to make a profit, then stop making the same mistakes you just made.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I was forced to ask myself last night and, to be honest, I don't think I really know the answer. I'm not doing this to make any real money, but on the other hand I really like winning (who doesn't?). My problem is that I honestly don't think (and this is the first time I've admitted this) that I DO have the discipline to play. Again, when I'm playing right, I'm super-confident in my game and my ability to win. But I am really prone to tilt and emotionally this game is beginning to take its toll on me. I'm starting to think that perhaps I should take a little break to reevaluate my reasons for playing. To be completely honest, after some thinking last night I've realized that it isn't even fun anymore.

Anyway, that's enough rambling for now. But seriously thanks for that post - it put a lot in perspective for me.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyhoo - things started out okay, but within an hour I was down $400. Just like that. Which is roughly just over half my roll on Stars at the moment. I realized that its just too easy to tilt playing heads up, AND I have no idea really how to play heads up. I reached a point (and I'm sure we've all been there) where you don't even think anymore. It's like you know you're being stupid and donktastic and what not, but you just keep hitting that raise button.

So then what do I do? The most illogical thing possible obviously and took a shot at 3/6. Where I got dealt AA three times in 15 minutes and lost with all three. But I can't even blame the cards for the most part.

Sigh. Back to the microlimits. I wish I had the patience to play full-ring, but I just can't handle how slow it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like me 4 months ago. I was a pretty decent winning 1/2 and 2/4 sh O8 player. Then in one night I lost 70% of my roll. Even though I know it wass mostly tilt, playing tired, and buzzed, it still just killed my psyche and my brain hasn't recovered.
I now just have fun in the micro's. I am currently rebuilding the br, but not with any purpose...

[ QUOTE ]
There's the problem. I can't handle playing more than 3 tables at once. My brain goes on overload. I blame years of heavy substance abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]
This also sounds like me....we seem to have lots in common. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. At least we can commiserate with some good ol' fashion, mind-altering substances. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Do you only play O8? How's the rebuilding going?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL. At least we can commiserate with some good ol' fashion, mind-altering substances. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Do you only play O8? How's the rebuilding going?

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't touched anything harder than beer in over 10 years, but I would win awards for the amount of crap I ingested between '86 and '95...

I played only SH O8 for 3 years prior to my meltdown. afterwards, I didn't even enjoy poker at all, so I withdrew everything but $50 and took a few weeks off.

Now I just play uNLHE, and pushed that $50 up over $500 mostly at Stars .05/.10.

I'm back to enjoying the game, and playing because it's fun again. My only real goal is to never have a losing week. I don't need the money, but it's nice to have when a vacation comes along.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM

I cashed out everything on Stars except, for some strange reason, $6.43. Any Loungers wanna flip me for it?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM

mother [censored] scumsucking sonofabitch [censored] face [censored] sodomists who like to [censored] little boys.

that's what i feel about poker at the moment.

Yesterday, I lost 8 [censored] buy-ins in a 6 hour session, took a shower and watched Family Guy, then proceeded to win back 6 of those buy-ins in a little less than an hour. Yay me!

This morning, in only an hour's time, I lose back those 6 buy-ins to ridiculous beats like this:

set of tens flopping against my set of nines

3-betting pre-flop with AK, flopping K82, and having my opponent push into me with 44 - only to hit a 4 on the river

Flopping top set with QQ on a two-spade board...betting, getting a call, a 9 comes on the turn, I check because I KNOW the moron I'm playing against is going to bet - he does and I put him all in - over two buy-ins and at least 5 times the pot - and he SNAP calls me with J9 of spades. River? Spade. Of course.

and this beauty:

I have two red Aces in the BB. It's raised by DONKEY [censored] McDONK on the button. I pot it. He calls.

Flop:

A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Jackpot! I bet half the pot. [censored]face calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet half the pot again (we both started deep). MCDONK pushes! I happily call.

DONKEY [censored] MCDONK'S hand?

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Huh?

River:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[censored]face makes a straight. I destroy one of those sweatless plastic tumblers that shatter brilliantly when I chuck it on the tile.

I [censored] hate poker. I swear to Electrical Jesus.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Standard bad run, just stay focused and play through.