Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Default Re: How do I bet on the yen vs. USD?

Politics make the currency markets less efficient. The US debt is over 100% GDP if they used GAAP accounting standards. Yet it is not priced in 100% vrs the Yen. Politically both sides have too much to lose for a correction. Macro economics is effected by irrational politics.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They say the same thing about poker, sports betting, horse racing, options........

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 AM

I agree with the OP except I see a 30 to 60 day timeframe for an exceptional return on the Yen/Dollar trade. I am 100% sure there is an ETF that will allow me to capitalize on this but darned if I can find it.

Help anyone?

Jimbo
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM

you would be better off buying stocks that benefit from that scenario and or shorting ones that dont. alot less commisions and you can win on both sides even if you are wrong as markets have inherent rising tendencies.

we have been holding inflation under control and that cant hold forever. and in the sometimes near future we will have a push to strengthen the dollar
Old 08-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Just go open an online forex acc't and lose all your money allocated to this strategy.

Trip report, pls.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the OP except I see a 30 to 60 day timeframe for an exceptional return on the Yen/Dollar trade. I am 100% sure there is an ETF that will allow me to capitalize on this but darned if I can find it.

Help anyone?

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

FXY
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks for the symbol
Old 08-14-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you would be better off buying stocks that benefit from that scenario and or shorting ones that dont. alot less commisions and you can win on both sides even if you are wrong as markets have inherent rising tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray, i believe you have your signals crossed here.

when you have a view, the object is to execute that view as precisely as possible. you do not want to mix in other things like generally rising markets (ie risk premia that can be collected from being long stocks) or indirect bets via stocks that could rise on the strengthening yen (those who have proportionally large revenue streams from japan but listed in the US etc.)

if you have a view that the yen will strengthen against the dollar, your best bet is to execute that view as preciesely as possible relative to your entire portfolio.

[ QUOTE ]

we have been holding inflation under control and that cant hold forever. and in the sometimes near future we will have a push to strengthen the dollar

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a view that US interest rates will rise as inflation picks up if i understand your thought correctly. that interest rate increase will provide strength to the dollar vis a vis its trading partners.

but, when you look at the yen/dollar relationship (or JPY/NZD or JPY/AUS ) you see that there is a possible underpricing that is far larger than can be implied by interest rate differentials as there are retail investors (and hedge funds and others) in japan (and elsewhere) that borrow in yen and invest elsewhere (carry trade).

when this flow reverses, it can be overwhelming even if the dollar strengthens int he spot market due to higher rates.

it may not make sense that the flows will pour into yen while the dollar rates rise but it does make sense to take your positions int he markets to most accurately reflect your views.

according to your post, you should be short US eurodollar futures (or short treasuries) and long JPYvsUSD.

Barron
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 AM

Buy mercury dimes, morgan dollars, etc., etc. on Ebay.

Find the silver value of these coins and buy them below their metal value.

Very bullish these days on silver with the weak dollar and inflation that is much greater than what is being reported by the media currently.

-FH-