Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Just got braces

I always had bad teeth growing up. I was embarrassed to smile because my top front teeth were so crooked. My bottome teeth were perfect. Luckily when I started working about 8 years ago I got hooked up with this great cometic dentist. She said braces were an option however she suggested me to get porcellain veneers in my top front 4 teeth. She explained the procedure. basiscally they shave the tooth down and then insert a percellain veneer and they have it shaped perfectly to fit your mouth and structure. It takes about 2 weeks. Anwyays, its is great, I went from a horrible smile to a hollywood smile basically overnight. BTW this is what all the rich people do because its a fast fix. The cost was about 5 grand. No probs yet and I can eat anything and everything.

Also, I have notived alot of adults who have braces. I never look at them funny. I think its fine. Just think if Terrell Ownes (famous football player) could get away with braces then so can you. He had them about 2 years ago.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM

they aren't that bad. They maily hurt the day and day after you get them tightened. Just be sure to BRUSH YOUR DAMN TEETH. I know some kids who got them, and didnt brush much. When the braces came off they had little white squares on their teeth from the tooth around the brace getting dirty over the years. good luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM

When I was little I used to laugh at adults with braces as I got older I have started to laugh at people with f'ed up teeth.

Braces at an older age > then f'ed up teeth.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 PM

It's unfortunate that everybody looks way younger with braces. Do you have facial hair? That's gotta help some.
-Sam
Old 10-16-2006, 07:11 PM

Wear your retainer afterward. They will start to move back otherwise.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:40 PM

i was in a similar situation as you. it's not a big deal...adults get braces all the time. i got braces about 2 yrs ago and hopefully I'll be done soon. I was 26 yrs old when I had them put on. I also could not get the Invisalign (even though I didn't care about the cost, the orthodontist said i couldn't do it...metal was cheaper and more efficient anyway). So I've got clear brackets on front and I've really had no social issues...just questions from inquisitive people (never in a rude way). but definitely listen when they talk about taking care of your teeth...brush often and try to floss (even though flossing can be a major PITA with braces)...and get a dental cleaning three times a year. the pain is fairly annoying every time you get your braces tightened, but you get used to it and factor it into the first few days after an appointment. they're your teeth...you'll hopefully have them for a long time. it's worth a bit of effort (and pain) to have teeth that last a while. if you get braces and don't practice good hygiene, you've just wasted a couple of years since your teeth may end up ugly from stains or cavities anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM

and to be honest, even though they aren't invisible, sometimes people don't notice the clear brackets until they look closely or have seen you a couple of times (i've had co-workers who didn't notice until a few weeks later even though i worked with them every day)
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM

i'm 33 and have to get them later this year as a result of a broken jaw that, when healed, left my bite f'd up - i'm not too psyched about it either.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM

Please give us a trip report if you manage to get laid with braces.

And yeah, wear your retainer afterwards, at least at night.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:24 PM

I had them for like 5 years, from 15 to 20 so I can relate to OP, I'm actually still twenty so getting them off was recent. It's a huge relief to get them off, but its more of a deal with confidence than anything else. MAintenence issues weren't a big deal, just brush like normal.

Most people don't care nearly as much as you do/might yourself.
For me anyway my teeth were serverly [censored] up before so I'm glad I had them and were worth it in the long run.( I had a huge gap and looked kinda yokel, and had a tooth impacted in my jaw). Even though five years is a [censored] long time.