Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: My Job - Do I need to Weight Lift

[ QUOTE ]
33% of energy in calories, not in grams. Fat has 4x more calories than carbs or protein, that's why eating it is bad, cause it promotes caloric excess.

If you're eating the right amount of calories then 25-35% fat is actually good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm keeping my calories under 1500 per day and burning around 700 calories per day.

I weighed myself 2 days ago and I was 299 and that made me want to go on a diet. I'm also 5'7" so my target weight is around 175-200 pounds.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
33% of energy in calories, not in grams. Fat has 4x more calories than carbs or protein, that's why eating it is bad, cause it promotes caloric excess.

If you're eating the right amount of calories then 25-35% fat is actually good for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

fat has 2.25 the calories.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 PM

9 calories g fat
4 calories g protein and carb
7 for alcohol.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm keeping my calories under 1500 per day and burning around 700 calories per day.

I weighed myself 2 days ago and I was 299 and that made me want to go on a diet. I'm also 5'7" so my target weight is around 175-200 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to eat more calories. 1500 is too little for your wight and how much excercise you say you are doing, this is basically a crash diet and your body will react accordingly.

If you are trying to lose 100 pounds you will need to be in for the long haul, and eating 1500 calories a day isnt sustainable for that long.

Also you'll run into all the problems of crash dieting, and as soon as you stop, you will pile the wight back on.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:21 AM

I should have added a disclaimer that I didn't know exactly how many calories fat has. I just knew it was multiple times that of protein and carbs.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to eat more calories. 1500 is too little for your wight and how much excercise you say you are doing, this is basically a crash diet and your body will react accordingly.

If you are trying to lose 100 pounds you will need to be in for the long haul, and eating 1500 calories a day isnt sustainable for that long.

Also you'll run into all the problems of crash dieting, and as soon as you stop, you will pile the wight back on.

[/ QUOTE ]

At my weight, what should be the normal calorie intake? I just read something on crash dieting and I really don't want to do that b/c of all the health risks. I know losing 100 pounds isn't going to happen in a matter of months. I'm in it for the long hall. It took me 5 years to put this 100 pounds on, but I have no idea how long it will take it off.

If you could help me, I would be very greatful.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM

There's a calorie calculator here

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

which tells you how many calories you use up in a day. I dont know how accurate it is, but it should give you a rough idea.

I dont think you should be below 2000 calories a day, and if you work hard all day moving stuff around, I think you can probably go higher.

Also a deficit of 1000 a day is probably as high as you should go, this equates to losing about a kilogram a week, which is pretty good, and just about sustainable.

Honestly, I think if you just cut out alot of the fat and suger, dont eat huge piles of carbs, and go to the gym reasonably often, you should be able to drop the wieght pretty easy as you have an active lifestyle.

Just weigh yourself a couple of times a week, and track what you are eating, if you are dropping more than a kilo a week, eat a bit more, and if you are losing less, adjust your diet a bit and try a bit more excersise.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:57 AM

One more thing I recommend, keep a food and excersise/activity diary.

Just keep track of what you are eating, and how much excersise you are doing, and also record your weight.

It will keep you honest with yourself as to how much you are eating.

Also, if you arent losing enough weight, you can look over it and try and figure out what adjustments you can make to your regular diet.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM

This is from the Starting Strength FAQ:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...p;postcount=32

You need to find out your BMR (Base Maintainance Rate) and then eat a little lower than that to lose weight. BMR greatly depends on your LBM (lean body mass) though, and you are very heavy for your height which could either mean that you are very overweight or extremely strong, or both. It will skew the results of the online calculators. The only accurate way to find out your BMR would be to weigh yourself regularly and keep an accurate record of your calorie intake and then watch if you maintain your weight or not.

I'm guessing that 2000-2500 calories a day should be fine.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks JammyDodga and Wolfram

Coming out of high school (2 years ago) I could bench 300 and squat 700. I think I'm relatively strong but there is no hiding it, I'm also fat. I'm prob around 45% fat.