Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: My Job - Do I need to Weight Lift

[ QUOTE ]
On a side not, whats the disstinction people are making between body-building vs strength training?

[/ QUOTE ]
Body-building is about looks. Strenght training is about performance. You train differently for each one.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On a side not, whats the disstinction people are making between body-building vs strength training?

[/ QUOTE ]
Body-building is about looks. Strenght training is about performance. You train differently for each one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Aprt from the low body fat thing for body-builders, what are the differences? Strength is a function of muscle size pretty much isnt it?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Aprt from the low body fat thing for body-builders, what are the differences? Strength is a function of muscle size pretty much isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I've read, huge bodybuilders don't lift as much as dedicated powerlifters of same/less weight.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Strength is about your brain learning to recruit muscle along movement patterns. I don't know jack about body-building, but it seems more interested in targeting muscles than developing movements and it spends more time in different rep ranges-- that said, I suspect there would also be tremendous overlap if folks (we) did either correctly.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

Ok guys, thanks again for the help. I'm using fitday and I'm wondering what my Cals, Fat, Carb,Prot numbers should be.

After lunch my numbers are

Cals - 434
Fat - 7
Carb - 72
Prot - 33
Old 11-15-2007, 02:32 PM

There can be overlap between size and strength, but they are not as closely related as popularly thought to be. Very skinny guys (and girls) can be quite strong, because so much of strength is neuromuscular coordination. Strength is a skill. By training your concentration and coordination, you can get quite a lot out of fairly little muscle. Contrarily, you can be pretty big without being any stronger than notably smaller guys.

That's one reason why people who start to concentrate on strength work can sometimes experience big leaps in ability on the same lifts from one day to the next. They can "burn in" a movement sufficiently to make the most of what effort they can provide. This happens a lot with newer trainees, but it still happens to people with more experience too. That's because strength athletes are not just working out, but training an actual skill.

For work-out purposes, strength training tends to use heavier weights, full-body movements, shorter sets, fewer sets, and more time between sets. Weekly frequency varies dramatically depending what background you come from. Soviet/East European sports scientist have their strength athletes work out much more than other countries tend to, for instance. Bodybuilding tends toward more isolation work, longer sets and more of them.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Carbs are coming from

Subway - 46 (wheat bread no cheese)
2 Slices of Whole Wheat Bread - 20
Banana - 28
Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Go HoosGo,
You've got to much energy coming from carbs.

Try to go for an even split (33%, 33%, 33%) for the whole day. You'll need to eat more meat, fish, eggs, nuts or protein powder to achieve this.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:09 PM

really 33% across the board

i didnt think eating fat was good
Old 11-15-2007, 07:09 PM

33% of energy in calories, not in grams. Fat has 4x more calories than carbs or protein, that's why eating it is bad, cause it promotes caloric excess.

If you're eating the right amount of calories then 25-35% fat is actually good for you.