Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Cool Sports You\'ve Played

Polish Horseshoes.

You take two pieces of PVC pipe and stick them in the ground about baggo length apart, and put an empty bottle of beer on top of each of the pipes.

You and your teammate are on the same side and your goal is to knock the opposing teams bottle off using a frisbee. You have to catch the frisbee each time it is thrown also, but you have to have a drink in one hand at all times. The frisbee can also not be caught in front of the pole. The bottle can also be caught on its way down to save points.

A knocked off bottle that isn't caught is worth three points and a missed bottle is one. Game is automatically over if you manage to break the bottle, and the game is played to 21.

This game gets quite interesting after people have been drinking for a while. Anyone ever play?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Add another vote for disc golf, Been playing it for a decade now and still enjoy traveling to tournaments around the midwest.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Rowing (Crew) can be a lot of fun. Racing requires a lot of power while maintaining timing, balance, technique, etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rowing (Crew) can be a lot of fun. Racing requires a lot of power while maintaining timing, balance, technique, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. I rowed in college and it was the best thing ever, but if you really want to get into it, it is a huge commitment (usually involves getting up very early). If you have questions about it ask, I don't want to just spew some random info out.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

volleyball hasn't been scored that way in many many years.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. I rowed in college and it was the best thing ever, but if you really want to get into it, it is a huge commitment (usually involves getting up very early). If you have questions about it ask, I don't want to just spew some random info out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently a collegiate rower. The commitment is unfortunate (I wake up 6 days a week at 4:40am), but I obviously feel that its worth it as I continue to it. It helps that the team that I'm on is full of really great people that I love, because they are essentially my friends now(we travel/race frequently on weekends), so I couldn't do this if I didn't get along with 90% of the people on the team.

However, it doesn't have to be this competitive. There are plenty of other teams/leagues that practice in the evenings, not every day, etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 PM

Try lacrosse on ice skates.... talk about a cool game.....

A sport I have never played, but really think it is the ultimate in cool sports:

hurling .... tried to link, but you can search on youtube

peace, mondo

P.S. Sorry about the linky, I don't usually paste them, and I'm in a hurry.... hope it works.....

Oh, and helmets are a recent addition.....
Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 PM

another + for broomball. it's definitely the sport where you're going to be sore the next day in a competitive setting.

also a + for water polo, but for the newb-friendly innertube variety. some colleges have IM innertube water polo, and is a blast for all levels of experience.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We use volleyball scoring (only score on serve), and call it stennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

volleyball hasn't been scored that way in many many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about spending 30 seconds to check this, as I wasn't sure. But then I remembered my gung-ho highschool gym teacher, Mrs. Henson, and how she pounded these rules into us. I was about to blame her, but then I saw this from the volleyball wiki

[ QUOTE ]
Before 1999, points could be scored only when a team had the serve (side-out scoring) and all sets went up to only 15 points. The FIVB changed the rules in 1999 (with the changes being compulsory in 2000) to use the current scoring system (formerly known as rally point system), primarily to make the length of the match more predictable and to make the game more spectator- and television-friendly.

[/ QUOTE ]

and I realized that I had Mrs. Henson's class in 1999, and now I just feel old.

/minihijack
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't know if it's what you're looking for but my favorite leisure sport is cornhole.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved to the east coast from Chicago, people looked at me like I was crazy when I described this game. I'd say maybe 10% of people I talked to knew about it at all.

Obviously, this meant that I had to build a board and hold some tournaments. It was a real crowd pleaser.

I also came to realize that I'm much better at designing these types of things (solidworks baby!) than actually assembling them.

The worst part was that it probably cost us $65 in parts to put them together (including the bags), and we later found a post-labor day blowout where they were selling the whole kit for like $70.

Woohoo for +$5 in savings and 3 hours of labor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]