View Poll Results: Pick 2
Parker @ CHI 1 8.33%
Brown vs. DEN 1 8.33%
Taylor @ SF 5 41.67%
Green @ BUF 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: ALCS - Indians vs Red Sox

i thought you might as well leave gagne in once you let him start the inning. he loaded the bases in game 1 but didn't give up a run. i mean why pitch him if you're going to pull him for giving up a seeing-eye single and a walk? when the guy behind him has given up a better BA against lefties than he has?

i would rather you warm lester in the top of the 9th so he's actually ready. or tavarez for that matter.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:28 PM

Time to say Gagne is hurt and put Taverez on the roster
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i would rather you warm lester in the top of the 9th so he's actually ready. or tavarez for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what bothered me the most, if you are bringing in lester do it to start the inning
Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM

as a life-long cleveland fan, i love this...last series, all anyone could talk about was the yankees. now, all anyone is talking about are boston and colorado, all the while, we're flying under the radar..
Old 10-14-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought you might as well leave gagne in once you let him start the inning. he loaded the bases in game 1 but didn't give up a run. i mean why pitch him if you're going to pull him for giving up a seeing-eye single and a walk? when the guy behind him has given up a better BA against lefties than he has?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually with you on this one. I would've given him one more batter.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

id rather have buchholz than Tavarez
Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Manny is one of the coolest guys around, but he's got to stop pausing to admire his homeruns, especially when they just clear the fence.

Hit ball, run fast, don't tick off picther. It's pretty basic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only did it barely clear the fence but it was about fifteen feet from being in play off the deep center field wall. I guess modern players would rather look cool than hustle right out of the box every time.

Look at Ortiz. Sure he runs hard on the ground ball in the early middle inning avoiding the double play but he knew he had to run hard the moment he hit the ball. Later in the eighth (or was it the ninth) inning he leads off an hits it hard to second base and stands there watching for half a second. Then the ball bounces off the second baseman's chest landing six feet away and he throws Ortiz out by half a step. He's easily safe if he ran hard from the moment he hits the ball.

I know I'm not a regular in this thread but I simply had to write my frustrations out. Plus I was curious if I could hear Joe Tall scream "Gag-me".

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Admiring your HR used to get you beaned. Not anymore I guess.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

id rather have buchholz than Tavarez

[/ QUOTE ]

Buchholz is shut down for the season though
Old 10-14-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually with you on this one. I would've given him one more batter.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a very good opportunity for a double play as well.

craig
Old 10-15-2007, 03:04 AM

Got this from SOSH who is quoting boston.com:

[ QUOTE ]
CLEVELAND -- If the Red Sox happen to lose Monday's Game 3 and fall behind in this American League Championship Series, there could be the temptation to bring back ace Josh Beckett on three days of rest for Game 4. That way, Beckett, who threw just 80 pitches in Game 1, would be available on regular rest in a potential Game 7.

However, Red Sox manager Terry Francona won't give in to that temptation. Win or lose on Monday, it will be veteran knuckleballer Tim Wakefield taking the ball the next night for Game 4.

"He's pitching," Francona said of Wakefield.

The decision is one the Red Sox have given a lot of thought to and they simply feel they have a better chance of winning the series by keeping the rotation as it is.

"You know what, I think what we're trying to do is set up our rotation so we can win a series," Francona said. "I think sometimes you get short-sighted if the need for panic arises, like perceived panic. If you lose a couple of games, everybody wants you to immediately change what you've set up. The reason we set it up like this is because we think it gives us our best chance to win a series."

Francona can understand the public sentiment of wanting to see Beckett pitch as many times as possible in the series. But it's his job to take a broader view of the situation.

"Doing something like [pitching Beckett in Game 4]may give you a chance to win a game, it may not, but it doesn't set up the rest of the series," Francona said. "We really value the rest that [Curt] Schilling can get, and Daisuke [Matsuzaka] also. It's not just one guy that it affects -- it affects three guys in the rotation."

[/ QUOTE ]