Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Public service announcement, herpes,,,wtf!?

MY biggest fear in having sex with strangers was always hiv. Ive been seeing a girl who maybe has a storied past, and we plan on getting tested for everything this week.

So in looking for testing centers , I began to read more about different STDs. I always considered myself educated and fairly knowledgeable about stds. However I was blown away on what I read about herpes. Of course when you get your info off the net, some info is conflicting, so Ill just give the points that there seems to be a consensus on.

The two most common strain of herp is hsv1 and hsv2. Hsv1 primarily affects the mouth and hsv2 primarily the genitals. Though rare, these two strains can affect the other region but seem to thrive in the areas they are associated with.

People with herpes have whats called outbreaks (festering sores around their mouths (cold sores) or genitals). This is definitely one of the times when they are extremely contagious (contraction rate up to 75% if your skin touches affected area). There are other times when the virus is "shedding" when a person is highly contagious but does not have an outbreak or symptoms,,uh-oh. Half of the people that have hsv1 or hsv2, are asymptomatic and never have symptoms but are just as contagious during the shedding periods.

About 60-70% of americans have hsv1, and about 20% have hsv2.HALF DO NOT KNOW THEY HAVE IT! They exhibit no symptoms or very minor ones. Therefore they never tell their partner, an unknowingly spread the goods around.

You do not have to have sex to contract herpes, as it is not transferred by body fluids. Skin to Skin is enough. So while a person with herp is "shedding" not necessarily having an outbreak, contraction can occur(if hsv1) by kissing or them going down on you. While shedding (hsv2) contraction can occur during sex, rubbing and humping or going down on her. The prob is a condom isnt nearly effective as you might think b/c again it is the skin to skin not fluids that matter.

Cliffnotes- A lot of people have the herp. A lot of those dont know they have it and are spreading it freely. Avoiding actual intercourse or wrapping up doesnt help too much. Be careful.

**Disclaimer**

This info has been gathered off the net and no professional has been consulted. I have slept with 30+ women, some protected some not. had full std test a few years ago and nothing. However these numbers are somewhat frightening. Happy hunting.

Please add any pertinent info.

Oh yeah, there is no cure.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Public service announcement, herpes,,,wtf!?

groundbreaking stuff here.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Old 09-03-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
groundbreaking stuff here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess i was just shocked at how many people have it and dont know it. I also did not know that you can easily catch it even if said person is not showing symptoms or you are having "safe sex". A mean, gettin a bj from random girl is problematic or even kissing a girl at a bar. I am fairly certain this is a surprise to most ooters.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 AM

So does that mean you could get herpes getting a lapdance?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Maybe I am naive, but I always thought getting or giving oral sex was fairly safe if nothing is showing. But according to what I read youre looking at a 10% contraction possibility for each time.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If skin to skin contact does not occur you wont get it. But if both nude then there is a definite possibilty.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If skin to skin contact does not occur you wont get it. But if both nude then there is a definite possibilty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you won't be nude, but they touch your face and arms.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About 60-70% of americans have hsv1

[/ QUOTE ]

Any disease that 70% of people have can't be that bad.

If this info really freaks you out, the fact that there is a good chance you already have the herp and have had it for years should set your mind at ease. 70% of Americans is probably like almost everyone between ages 15-75.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:59 AM

The man on the moon thing, that's a joke right?