Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Bald Eagle off the endangered species list

[ QUOTE ]
We kill them both. We "grow" the cattle to make the process more productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a system where livestock are born, raised, and killed all the while being counted and maintained at a rate so as not to lead to their numbers dwindling is the same as individuals killing wild game with only a partial count and small sample size to maintain a record of their numbers are the same thing. Gotcha.

[ QUOTE ]
I see. "People's whim" = market forces = harm, yet "politician's whim/bureaucrat's whim/lobbyist's whim/special interest group's whim/YOUR whim" = not harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly enough, you left off exactly what I refered to and the point I was making. Science. People aren't born understanding the migratory patterns of bees, nor those patterns effects on the people themselves. If science can determine there's an issue that mankind is making worse, it would seem that stoping that cause would help everyone.

Of course I suppose it's easier to make every argument sound like the person is advocating letting "bureaucrat's and lobbyist's" wills determine the corse of action. Strawman anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do I even bother?

Count me out. I concede whatever bizarro argument was going on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was it you said to me the other day when I said something sarcastic to you?

I think it was:

[ QUOTE ]
Brilliantly argued as always

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So a system where livestock are born, raised, and killed all the while being counted and maintained at a rate so as not to lead to their numbers dwindling is the same as individuals killing wild game with only a partial count and small sample size to maintain a record of their numbers are the same thing. Gotcha.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're moving the goalposts. The conjecture was that eagles would go extinct because people would hunt them. But people hunted cows, pigs, and chickens and none of them are today extinct. Agree or disagree?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're moving the goalposts. The conjecture was that eagles would go extinct because people would hunt them. But people hunted cows, pigs, and chickens and none of them are today extinct. Agree or disagree?

[/ QUOTE ] you can own cows pigs and chickens though. legally you can't own a bald eagle i am pretty sure. but that is your point right?

however, it might be pretty hard to own bald eagles without clipping their wings or storing them in cages. and if you are doing that on the premise that bald eagle jerky will be valued by society, i think the number of bald eagles owned for such purposes would be pretty small, since bald eagles would be pretty costly to raise relative to chickens.

so maybe they wouldn't necessarily go extinct, but it wouldn't be surprising to have a tragedy of the commons type situation were most "free" bald eagles are hunted for sport (or fall prey to some other human cause), and a few are kept in cages by owners but not that many, as there isn't a huge motivating factor for owning them. other than perhaps they are pretty rare due to them being over hunted.

i think it might be a little tricky to figure out how a free market might provide a robust numbers of non-caged bald eagles. of course you would argue that is not a problem if people do not value such flocks of eagles. however, what if people do in fact value them as such but can not find a way to prevent people from hunting down their population?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? There are plenty of other species that have gone extinct from hunting. Also, as I've stated several times in this thread, the point of the ESA is to preserve endangered species in the wild, not just keep them alive in zoos or cages in people's barns
Old 06-29-2007, 06:32 PM

can't we just have a separate AC forum? every thread is the same.