Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Villain plays his FD super aggressive..

$15/$30 Party

I'm on the button with AsTc

everyone folds to me and I raise.

Villian in SB 3bet, BB folds, I call

** Dealing Flop ** [ 6h, 7h, 6s ]
Villain bets, I call

** Dealing Turn ** [ Td ]
Villian bets, I raise, villian 3bets, I call.

** Dealing River ** [ 3s ]
Villian bets, I call

Villian shows [ Jh, Kh ]a busted flush draw.

Is it common for people to 3bet oop their 2nd best flush draw? How about 2+2 posters, do you do this too?

Whats the point of betting the river once he missed the flush? If I called his 3bet on the turn, I'm sure as hell going to call his river bet.

Obviously, if I didn't hit any piece of that flop, I would have had to fold against his turn/river bet. Is this the way you would play your flush draws?
Opinions and comments are very much welcomed.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Villain plays his FD super aggressive..

He doesn't know you and is seeing what you'll pay 3 bets for AND call the River with when the Flop brought a pair.

If he doesnt' find out, it's because you folded.

Next time, he'll probably have the 6 and get his money back.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM

No doubt Villain overplayed but it's not that unusual a hand.

On a 766r flop your hand is likely to be just as good as it ever was. If Villain 3-bets with a fairly wide range then you have a fair chance to have the best hand and at worst you almost always have 3-6 outs.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, if I didn't hit any piece of that flop, I would have had to fold against his turn/river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not obvious at all. Depending on the turn/river cards and the opponent you will often need to take AT unimproved to showdown. Otherwise you give your HU opponent wonderful odds to bluff every flop that looks difficult for you.

Much of the art of the game lies in correctly handling situations similar to this one. Simple strategies like "fit-or-fold" or always calling down with any unimproved ace don't work at this level.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it common for people to 3bet oop their 2nd best flush draw? How about 2+2 posters, do you do this too?

[/ QUOTE ]

He played it exactly like the textbook.

Read chapter "Counters to the free showdown play: The Turn three-bet semi-bluff", p. 185-187, in Stoxtraders: Winning in tough holdem games.

Basically, he is hoping u are doing a free showdown raise on turn with a not so good pair and will fold when he 3bets. When u call and he doesnt hit 1 of his 15 outs, he is hoping u are on a draw and are capable of folding a better hand then his K high.

What upsets u, I think, is what makes this move ok to do sometimes. U are pretty sure ur turn and rivercalls are crycalls, but u are way ahead and it makes it very hard to know how to play this guy in the future as long as u normally respect him.

There are a ton of good, not very obvious stuff in Stoxtraders book that should be discussed.