Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Default 50NL, do I VB on river or check?

I don't have much of a read on the villain. he is running 14/7 on 75hands. pf i 3bet here most of the time w/ AJo from BB vs CO raise. but his 14/7 stat even over 75 hands was too tight so i elected to call. how did i play this on flop and turn. and after the villain checks behind on turn. what is my play on river? VB or check?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $60.75
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $59.20</font>
UTG: $208.40
MP: $53.45
CO: $53.20
BTN: $47.50

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, 2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $2.50</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $2, UTG calls $2

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($7.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $6.50</font>, Hero calls $6.50, UTG folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($20.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

<font color="black">River:</font> ($20.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Old 04-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: 50NL, do I VB on river or check?

I don't really like calling here OOP, I think its a 3bet/fold. I would lead the river for ~$12, his turn check looks pretty weak and I think he will pay off with worse aces.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:07 AM

Dumb question, but if his stats indicate that he is 'too tight' for you to 3bet, why are you calling oop then? What are you hoping to flop? 2 pr? A random J? If you're scared to 3bet him, that means you put him squarely on JJ+ or AJ+, therefore you should be mucking not calling, no?

Not trying to be harsh, just trying to get you to think how silly that sounds. 3 bet and fold if he comes back over the top....

As played, I'm value betting the river to about 12 here.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:10 AM

Oh also, Sweir, I don't think that his turn check is weak. I think we're beat here a majority of the time, to be honest. This is standard pot-control with just 1 pr hands. OP didn't 3bet, therefore Villain probably thinks he has some sort of speculative hand and the 4 straight gives him more incentive to not bet behind, so that he can get to showdown cheaply...he doesn't want to be c/r'd and blown out of the water with a hand that very well may be best.

Or am I nuts?
Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 AM

$10-12'ish bet on river looks good here.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh also, Sweir, I don't think that his turn check is weak. I think we're beat here a majority of the time, to be honest. This is standard pot-control with just 1 pr hands. OP didn't 3bet, therefore Villain probably thinks he has some sort of speculative hand and the 4 straight gives him more incentive to not bet behind, so that he can get to showdown cheaply...he doesn't want to be c/r'd and blown out of the water with a hand that very well may be best.

Or am I nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe im wrong but people will overvalue an Ax here and bet most turns. Considering the board is so drawy his check behind just looks pretty weak to me...

If our holding didn't have such good SDV and he bet this turn small then I think its not a bad spot to bluff-raise. Just a thought.....
Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Or am I nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe im wrong but people will overvalue an Ax here and bet most turns. Considering the board is so drawy his check behind just looks pretty weak to me...

If our holding didn't have such good SDV and he bet this turn small then I think its not a bad spot to bluff-raise. Just a thought.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, hence why I think villain turn check is decent because he doesn't want to get c/r'd off his hand that has considerable SDV. I'm just trying to look at it from his POV, esp. with his stats....
Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 AM

I definitely fold this PF.

I'm with felix on this one. Just because he checked the turn doesn't mean you have the best hand.

Expect to see AQ or AK often if you bet and are called or if he bets the river. A 14/7 isn't calling with any worse hands so I don't think there's any value in betting. If you check and he bets you're in a tough spot and it will depend on the odds you're getting. I'd probably call up to half pot.