Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you most enjoy playing against?
Greg Raymer 200 67.57%
David Williams 59 19.93%
Josh Arieh 37 12.50%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 AM

Default 5CD...how loose as small blind?

If im at a 5 handed table, and theres a few limpers (lets say two)...how weak do you complete with? Will you play any pocket pair, and should i be? I like folding the lower ones, is that leak, or standard?

I've never been comfortable with the you are getting 7 to 1 on your monies!!! dogma; i know when i hit, im second best alot and often get whumpfed for 2 big bets.

70% of the time i wont improve, and check/fold
So when i hit 2prs, its often beat, trips less so, but still a full quater of the time i make 222, someone will have a bigger trips for me.

Is 22xxx a money loser to complete with behind two limps? Then what is the profitable cutoff point?

So i've been folding like 55xxx and worse lately, and feel good about that (wish there was DrawTracker!). Do you guys play tighter? Or looser?

I can see even folding 10-10, just becasue its so dodgy on when you are ahead/behind after the draw, you can really play it to win extra bets, at least i cant find much confidence to do it.

But 10-10 gotta be too tight right? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] For half a bet, lol. 7:1 on your monies!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thing is, it is such a common situation, at a passive table. I'd like to get it right. Polltime!

*i know obviously "it depends"...but just treat this like a dartboard, and pick something reasonabe
Old 12-23-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Re: 5CD...how loose as small blind?

This is why I keep all limps in my notes... many players limp early with JJ, so when they limp I need at least QQ to continue. Many limp raise monsters, so I ususally fold less than AA and fold to limp-reraise.

Many players know that I'll do this too... so I trap them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know you know it depends, but in no fold em' draw you'll just have to wait for a good hand. The blinds come around fast so it's dissapointing, but you gotta just be TAG.

The main point is that you want to be the best hand before the draw... you're not really making that much money off a pair because some percentage of the 1 in 8 you get to trips, they're also making trips.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 AM

Thats sick tight. Do you, in practice, never put in the half-bet without a PP bigger than the limpers? And would you advocate i do as well?

I cant resist such a discounted bet with a face pair, probbaly one limpers worse than me, ones better. Or theres a draw. I'm playing 1-2, remember, they love to limp.

If i make trips, its still good most of the time, and i oughta harvest at least 1 big bet.

I'm such a sucker for 50cents though, i guess i tell myself we are going to b e capping the post-draw everytime i hit my hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Are you playing higher stakes than me Murakawa? Or is stars quite tight? At 1-2, I find it's pretty rare i get limp-reraised, way less that 5% of the times someone limps.
Theres often dudes that will make really loose calls post-draw too.

But yeah, start folding stuff like TT and JJ in the sb now?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:51 AM

New Plan: I'm just about to start the "euro-morning crew". Today, i will fold <55 and complete >TT to limpers. The hands 66,77,88,99 i will complete also, and annotate on a notepad on my desk. Will post results after session.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:20 PM

I try and not get too mechanic about it but I generally play somewhat tight in the SB. Although I guess I like to mix it up a little bit in the SB so it is hard for the better players like most of you to get a read on me. I think it is good from time to time to show down a loose call or raise. I will play a come hand here and there out of position etc. as long as I don't do it too often it throws better players off a bit. I know I know, str8 forward play is the best and I agree but you have to adapt and change gears here and there just like any other poker game. Works okay for me.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New Plan: I'm just about to start the "euro-morning crew". Today, i will fold <55 and complete >TT to limpers. The hands 66,77,88,99 i will complete also, and annotate on a notepad on my desk. Will post results after session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Played ~ 4hours. The exact situation:
-Hero SB with 55-TT
-One or more limp in

... that happened 12 times. so i always completed with 55-TT. Interstinly, the BB not once raised behind me, he checked 12 times of 12 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So, taking the 50cents i put as blind as a write off, my return on venture was:

9 times - Hero misses, check/folds, never winner in free showdown either lol = -$4.50 total

2 times - Hero makes weak 2 pair (lower than my orig. pair): 7744 wins a unbet showdown (+$2.40), and 9944 i lead out on hitting into a weak liper who calls alot unimproved. He paid (+$4.10)

1 time - Hero makes sick check-call with 10-10 unimproved, and wins: SB(hero) draws 3, BB(freeplay) draws 5, utg(limper) draws 1. we check to utg who bets(bluffs). I'd seen this guy raise it with v. good hands predraw, so his 1draw seemed like flush. Anyways, i figured mr. draw 5 missed, so called at 5:2 price. Villain shows 899TJ. Hero +$5.10 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-----

So only 12 hands, cause its open raised and i fold alot. But on this day, it seems 55's to 10-10's were money makers for 50 cents look. Maybe tomrrow i'll track these handss again for the sb.

I think whats key is discipline to be real tight post draw. I did that plartly becasue i knew i had to post my results on interweb forum so i was super carefull not to make any donk calls [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Total was up 3.5BB's on the 14 hands, relative to if i hand never completed. Maybe i ran good, i was lucky to never run into place where me and them improve on same hand. But also, in 12 hands, i never made a set [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Then again, i've got this feeling i was a loser today from the small blind with JJ-AA, go figure.

Limpin'
Old 12-24-2006, 03:34 PM

I should say that I will complete... BUT for clumping theory don't forget that if nobody has a raisable hand it's more likely the BB does. If he'll raise against a field of limpers, which he often does, then I'm doing an extra bet and a half... this isn't always true. WHen I say TT it does depend on textrue of the table. If i konw that early Position limps with shorts and flush draws then TT in the SB is an auto raise, even from first position. 55 is an auto call for half a bet.

However, I find that first position limp is often KK or a monster, neither of which I want to get involved in. Especially if it's just EP, me and the BB. Texture of the table matters.

Don't forget that SB you ahve to be careful because PD you're first to act and if you don't improve you can't expect everyone to check around... though I guess they did at your table.