Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Default $40/$80 borgata AA

This is kind of a boring hand I guess, but I'm trying to make some more posts since I think my game is starting to plateau a little.

My friend and regular in the game is pretty laggy both preflop and postflop. He's the main villain in this hand. He views me as being all over the map depending on the day from really tight to really LAG and in the past we've played some pretty sick hands against each other. Pretty much we believe that the other is capable of anything with any two cards on any street.

Preflop: Villain raises in late middle. Good LAG cold calls on button, I 3 bet AA (no heart) from the small blind, villain caps, we call. Three of us

Flop: J T 7 two hearts one club. I bet out, villain calls, button calls.

Turn: 7c. I bet villain calls, button folds.

River: 8s. My plan and why?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 borgata AA

Bet b/c your friend has an over pair, AJ, or AK. He's not going to blulff AK here b/c he can't get paid off and since you bet into his cap he's taking the passive line. I can't put him on any hand that conatins a 9 except for 99 and I don't think he caps that against you pf b/c he's gotta know that your' not going to 3bet out of the blind lightly when he raised in middle and theres a cold caller.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:18 PM

depends on your read either bet fold or check call
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 PM

I would have C/R the flop.
The river is tough becuase we need to know your friends capping range multiway. How would he play TT/JJ/QQ/KK. What does your PF 3-bet mean to him and your flop donk. If AK/AJ/AT/KK/QQ are a good part of his range(as played) and almost never would he play 99/TT/JJ this way you could even consider C/R the river.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Bet/call the river. Betting is the only way to give him a chance to bluff. If you check, he's going to know it's a defensive check and you are definately showing down. Betting gives him the chance to try to take the pot off you with AQ.

I think that the straigtht expected value of betting vs. check/calling is pretty irrelavent here, because if you check, he'll value bet any hands he would call with (basically anything that beats AK).

So it just comes down his range: How often does he have nothing that he'd attempt a bluff with vs. how often he has 88 or a 9 in his hand. Given your description of how you guys play eachother and the way the board developed, I think he'd try for a bluff raise a significant percentage of the times he has busted hand on the river. A few people in this thread have already advocted a bet/fold line, so a bluff raise should definately be in his bag of tricks if he's a tough lag.

Check/folding is obv. retarded. He'll very rarely bluff here, but he can value bet worse hands. Usually when a decent aggro player takes your pre/flop/turn line, then checks the river, it means AK. So if he decided to take 44 to showdown here, there's a reasonable chance he'll value bet once you check the river.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 AM

i think its a bet-fold on the river brian..
who were the opponents? my answer might diff depending on who the villain was
Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Brian, I want to comment more on this later, but it's Friday night. However, folding in a 10BB pot is terrible.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:23 AM

There's no way you can bet/fold this river against someone who knows your game so well. I really like adebisi's line of betting to induce a bluff raise.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Ben: LAWL
Ben: GREAT M<INDS THINK ALIKE
Aragorn: ?
Aragorn: oh the thread I just posted in?
Ben: YA
Ben: same time post totooo
Ben: TIME TO GO OUT
Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]