Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 free showdown raise spot?

[ QUOTE ]
call and call a non ace river

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call and call a non ace river

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can fold if the diamond hits the river and he bets out again. What hands does he have that we beat?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 AM

this is going to sound crazy but if you raise for a free showdown you have to be prepared to make it 4 bets, I don't think James will let you get away with a free showdown but he can get away if you give him a compelling reason and you project the right image.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Free showdown raises are usually good when(in rough order of importance):

1. You can safely fold to a 3-bet.
2. You can get villain to fold a better hand.
3. You are drawing to few outs against the hands in villain's range you are behind.
4. Villain's range includes hands that you are still ahead of which have enough outs that are worth charging.
5. The pot is large.
6. Lots of rivers are "scare cards" for your hand.
7. Villain is unlikely to donk the river if he makes his hand.

This situation meets some of these conditions (#3, 4, 5, 6) so I think this is a decent spot to raise for a free showdown. That said, I feel like this turn card could give villain a lot of monster-esque draws that he may be willing to 3-bet semibluff or a pair of T's to go along with his draw that he will call down. Given what others have said about James, I think this may not be the opponent to try this against.

Brian, what was your plan on the flop? Are you calling down most turn/river combos? Folding aces and 3rd diamonds? Taking a WA/WB line? You weren't planning to raise for a free showdown on most blanks were you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatz up kid. Nice post. I was planning to fold to any ace or any 3rd diamond and raising any blank for free showdown. As I said before, I don't really know James Van Alstyne that much, but he probably didn't really pay attention to my table talk that much but probably noticed that I was playing relatively tight. I think the likelihood of him taking a shot at me here with a worse hand or even a big draw was very low.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 PM

Anyway, I went with my plan and raised the turn. One thing I left out of my initial post was that I had been raising his big blind quite a bit so he might have gotten a little tired of it, even though on this particular day it was just a coincidence that I had a lot of raiseable hands (by my standards [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) ) when he was the big blind.

My complete reasoning was that I really felt he had a flush draw or a Jack. I could easily fold to a 3 bet if he chose to do so, and as I responded to Ben in my previous post I thought that the likelihood of him doing so with a draw against me was very low. I also thought he would likely check the river if he missed his draw, so I wanted to get him to put in two big bets instead of just one. Anyway I raised and he called. River went check check and I pretend moaned "I can't win" and turned over the 99 and he looked at it for a while and mucked.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know James Van Alstyne that much, but he probably didn't really pay attention to my table talk that much but probably noticed that I was playing relatively tight. I think the likelihood of him taking a shot at me here with a worse hand or even a big draw was very low.

[/ QUOTE ]

this actually increases the likelyhood if it was James. Tight players make "good folds", James can take advantage of that situation. It worked out for you, but other times it won't.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know James Van Alstyne that much, but he probably didn't really pay attention to my table talk that much but probably noticed that I was playing relatively tight. I think the likelihood of him taking a shot at me here with a worse hand or even a big draw was very low.

[/ QUOTE ]

this actually increases the likelyhood if it was James. Tight players make "good folds", James can take advantage of that situation. It worked out for you, but other times it won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good players make good folds. Tight players don't raise the turn without a monster. I think he saw me as the latter.