Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Default $1+0.20 - Bubble play

Hi!

I'm taking a break from cash games right now due to a big downswing. I have a small roll at Pokerstars, so I'm playing the $1+0,2 9 man SNGs.

These are pretty easy, but the bubble play frustrates me a bit.

We're often 4 men left at blinds 100/200, so.. My issue is..
These players are tight weak, but I feel I dont profit with my stealing. Blinds are too small to push, and when I steal I get called "often". I'm not c. betting all the flops, but my c. bets gets called often enough so I feel like this are -EV.

I know that all these players are totally donks, without knowing anything about when to push, how to play with a small stack and so on..

I guess this post was a bit messy, but it was hard to express my thoughts exactly as they are.

Any comments/advices?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: $1+0.20 - Bubble play

[ QUOTE ]
I have a small roll at Pokerstars, so I'm playing the $1+0,2 9 man SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my $0.02 "meta" advice : try to play a game with smaller rake. 20% is double the "standard" online maximum of 10%. These things add up. Money saved is money won.

Other than that, try to bet big with any showdown-worthy hand. Make them pay for their curiosity. Sometimes you'll get unlucky/coolered and bust but when you win at showdown you'll have a healty stack to wield and become a favourite to win the thing. Pushing or folding preflop is not far from the optimal strategy ; try an experiment of say 20 SnG's when you do just that and see how it unfolds and the incorporate the findings in your normal game. You might try to be a little more selective in the early levels, though.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Ty, I'll try and see if it's improves my profit.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a small roll at Pokerstars, so I'm playing the $1+0,2 9 man SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my $0.02 "meta" advice : try to play a game with smaller rake. 20% is double the "standard" online maximum of 10%. These things add up. Money saved is money won.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I try SNGs somewhere else? With lower rake.. An alternative is the 3.40's, but these have become harder than
before haven't they?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I try SNGs somewhere else? With lower rake.. An alternative is the 3.40's, but these have become harder than
before haven't they?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play on 'Stars but it seems that they're ripping off nano-stakes players. The games might be beatable because of the weak fields but I'd personally refuse to play in a game with such an obscene rake. I play on Euro sites Bodog and Betfair ; both have max 10% rake from the lowest stakes up.