Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Winning too much to quit

[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it, poker doesn't help anyone, and it makes for a pretty lonely, selfish life.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have got to be kidding me. It's not poker that doesn't help anyone, it's YOU.

If you want to help people, donate charities your winnings. Buy gifts for your love ones. Send money to third-world countries to help poor childen. You can always go back to the low limit tables and "help" out the grinders by donating it to them.

I don't mean to make a personal attack but this type of thinking really annoys me. If you want to "help" people, you will always find a way. You're a doctor right? So you must know how much medical bills cost. Offer to pay their health insurances and bills. I am sure they won't reject your kindness. I surely won't.

Lastly, if I have a choice to be a doctor or a poker player, I would definitely choose being a poker player. Why? Because I have my own schedule. I can do whatever I want without being on calls. I can retire early. And if I feel the urge to help people, I'll give money to my relatives in Vietnam. And if they are well off, I can always go to Asian countries and "buy off" little children who are forced to be prostitutes and give them a free life. That sure as hell make me feel good. May I dare to say it might actually be better than saving a person from a broken bone or the flu or whatever disease that doesn't cause death.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:37 PM

What makes you happy?
Financial security makes people comfortable, providing the necessary backgound for pursuing happiness.

Some people are only able to achieve happiness through material pursuits. You do not seem like the type.

You won't be happy if you're ashamed of what you do. You are scared to tell your family that you play poker. If you don't change this fact then you'll likely regret playing poker later. Either stop playing or stop being ashamed.

It doesn't seem like you'd be happy just playing poker.

Just pursue medicine and play poker a little to suppliment (double?) your income.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Cye,

Awesome link, thanks.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:54 PM

Have you considered finishing up your residency "whenever" and then simply opening a solo practice? There are lots and lots of doctors that do just this and set their own hours.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This piece of advice from the Apple founder Steve Jobs has followed me from job to job. I am very happy working where I am now. I hope this advice will help you:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1422863/posts

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome read
Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cye,

Awesome link, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:56 AM

Hi Doc,

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing the different reactions people will give you. Say "I'm a doctor" and you are universally met with a level of understanding and respect. Tell someone you play online poker for a living and they look at you like your bananas. Up until this year it's been something i've largely hidden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah--people are hypocrites. People are ignorant. People are both. Why do you care? This next statement is definitely just a supposition on my part, but it doesn't seem like you'd add much to the world as a doctor, either, since you've really only talked about it in your post in terms of the money involved, the hours involved, and the respect you "earn" from others for being a doctor. IMO, you can give the most to the world by being a positive factor in your interactions with others, and this doesn't have to have anything to do with your job.

You ought to find something that actually motivates YOU in life, and do that-seeking others' approval doesn't count. You're in the perfect place to do it, too; you're young, educated, and financially secure.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM

Glad you liked the link. This advice prompted me to move from the UN (where I felt I ought to be happy but wasn't) to the poker/bg industry - where I am very happy.

As Steve jobs said in his speech sometimes you've got to join the dots backwards and go where you fit.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it, poker doesn't help anyone, and it makes for a pretty lonely, selfish life.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have got to be kidding me. It's not poker that doesn't help anyone, it's YOU.

If you want to help people, donate charities your winnings. Buy gifts for your love ones. Send money to third-world countries to help poor childen. You can always go back to the low limit tables and "help" out the grinders by donating it to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donating poker winnings is simply redistributing funds. It does not make poker playing a productive endeavor, unlike being a doctor.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM

Yes but if you are making way more money as a poker player than a doctor, it gives you more power to be able to help people.