Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Get motivated about writing your Congressmen

I wrote all my Congressmen today in regard to the UIGEA. As I was writing I could not help getting angry (tone of my letters did not reflect this BTW). I spent last spring and summer in Afghanistan taking part in Operation Enduring Freedom. I saw Fallen Comrade ceremonies all the time. Young people like myself being brought in a flag-draped casket down the flight-line to get on the C-17 and go home to get buried. I thought about why those folks died. They died so that the people of Afghanistan could live their lives without an overzealous, ultra-conservative, government imposing it's religious beliefs on them in an oppressive way. They died protecting the personal freedoms of the Afghan people. Then I came home in late September (to Germany, where I am stationed) to find that the U.S. government--more specifically a few overzealous, ultra-conservative officials--had passed a law that basically threatens to encroach on our own freedoms. That motivated me to write to all my friends and family members on my email list and ask them to write their Congressmen, too. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if you think about it in terms of what we are supposed to stand for as Americans and what our people have literally died for, it might hit home a little more and make you want to take that extra fifteen minutes to actually take some action.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Get motivated about writing your Congressmen

Thank you for your service to our country.

Your perspective is a very good one to write from to our government officials. I can’t remember where I read it, but 18-22 year old poker players according to Jon Kyl are youths who don’t know better and are being taken advantage of. These same youths oversees are soldiers who are risking their lives for this country and whose decisions are life and death.

The hypocracy is amazing on so many different levels.