Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Sushi experts question?

so theres this japanese place i frequent, pretty authentic, usually get omakase unless big party.

when i get my nigri, it already has wasabi under it, dab a lil soy sauce, in my mouth it goes.

however, when i order real wasabi, they just grate it an i get it on the side. but i dont use any wasabi on the side since its already under the fish...so any one have any clue how i can fix this? just tell the chef? seems like a hasle to him, and place is usually packed enough where i can just get his attention for short spans (hence omakase and just let him throw down fish whenever he wants)

and anyone know the price premium for the real wasabi? all i get is a flat price at the end so i have no clue.

thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Sushi experts question?

Be smart like an American and mix it with your soy sauce? Not the expert play I know.

When you first order the platter of sushi, just tell them "wasabi-nuki" or without wasabi. Then just say you want it on the side.

They have real wasabi at your place. Very nice.

[ QUOTE ]
When you first order the platter of sushi, just tell them "wasabi-nuki" or without wasabi. Then just say you want it on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay, this is the correct answer. That didn't take long.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and then just...put wasabi in soy sauce and dip as usual?
sorry for basic question but i used to not eat wasabi, and when i started always already included in nigri so i dont think i've ever had it with soysauce mixed like everyone else.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 AM

seriously going to start ordering sushi delivery every day from the local thai/japanese place. got an 18 pc seafood dish with teriyaka chicken and it was bomb...but like 20$ w/ drink and delivery. oh and im a broke college student but i ball out with sushi when i win onies playing poker. (have made 3k in the last month after a 20$ deposit on bodog)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Can I hijack this a bit to ask one basic question?

My problem with sushi is that I never know how much to order, with the result that I usually just request an assortment.

How many rolls is generally considered a full meal? Does this depend upon the particular rolls ordered?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I hijack this a bit to ask one basic question?

My problem with sushi is that I never know how much to order, with the result that I usually just request an assortment.

How many rolls is generally considered a full meal? Does this depend upon the particular rolls ordered?

[/ QUOTE ]

It totally depends, but that's what the sushi bar is for - just keep getting more stuff until you've had enough. You don't have to sit down, order, eat, and leave. Even if you're at a table, just order what you want and get more later if you're still hungry.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends, and you can generally get a decent idea by looking at the price of the roll. If you're gonna get rolls only (no nigiri or sashimi), then about three $5 rolls (califonia, spicy tuna, whatever) fills me up. But then there are those big, wacky $15 specialty rolls that fill me up after just one roll.

That said, I'd follow the other advice to order on the light side and you can always order more.

-bigbootch
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM

"sabi-nuki"

real wasabi root is expensive compared to the tube.