Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 03:52 AM

Default 6 Player vs. 9 Player Tables

Does anyone have any thoughts (or links to references) on the differences between playing at a 6-player vs. 9-player table? How about between a 9-player vs. 10-player table?

I'm interested in more than starting hand requirements. For example, how much more/less should I worry about another player having AK, when I have AQ? Or, are there subtle differences in how players tend to play at 6-player tables vs. 9/10 player?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-24-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: 6 Player vs. 9 Player Tables

There is a good chapter about shorthanded play in "Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker" from King Yao. He explains the differences between full ring and SH Limit Hold'em games: wilder fluctuations, agressivity, more heads-up play on the flop, playing the players.
He compares the table with 8-10 players, 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 players.
And the next chapter is about "Common Mistakes in Shortanded Play", a good way to improve your SH play.

Once again, this book is about Fixed Limit Hold'em.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Skilled players can have more success at 6-max because weaker players are exploited more often since they are forced to play more hands. Yes more hands can be played and raised with but it is important to use position rather than anything else. Certain strong hands very well in early but terrible in late position.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Certain strong hands very well in early but terrible in late position.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 AM

As Blue_Lagoon pointed out, it matters whether you're asking about limit or no-limit.

One thing to consider is that if the first three players fold in a 9-handed game, it's almost like playing at a 6-handed table. It's not exactly the same, since folding makes it less likely that the first three players had a lot of A's and K's; meaning it's slightly more likely the remaining players do; but this effect is small, especially in a tight game where people need two high cards to call or raise in early position.

The fewer players in the hand, the more Q's and J's become high cards; and the less chance of straights, flushes and low-card combinations winning the pot. Kickers become less important as well.

In practice, in regular short-handed games, I find players often over-react, and play J7 as if it were A9. On the other hand, if a normal 9 or 10 player game happens to fall to 6 players, you tend to see players undervaluing Q's and J's; and playing too many suited and connected hands.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments! I should have stated I was more interested in No Limit, but do play Limit about 20% of the time. I'm also at the Micro Stakes.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM

This question bothers me a lot as for the life of me I cant seem to make the transition from full ring to 6 max in my cash games? It may be just bad luck, but I always seem to get hammered when I play shorthanded cash games. Playing S&Gs it isnt a problem- I feel comfortable playing any size in a tournie, but I would love to feel confident playing short handed cash tables
Am I missing anything or am I just running bad when im playing? If I can play short handed tournies, why do I struggle in short handed cash games?