Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:39 PM

Default stocks?

Yo,

I was just wondering if any of you play the stock market and if you feel that poker skills (i.e. bankroll management, risk vs. reward, ROI) help in your success. I'd like to start getting into it and was curious to hear what yall had to say. cheers...
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: stocks?

In my view, a student of poker should have the analytical skills and the understanding of variance to give this person an edge on the general market. That said, you should not expect the types of ROI achievable in poker. And then that said, stocks are more suitable for returns on a larger amount of money or money that is not needed for current consumption or to bankroll poker or other higher returning investments.

Stocks are an investment while poker is an operation. I believe that individual decisions are the same but with different variables. An important variable in stocks that does not exist in poker is time and the value there of. While individual decisions in poker have a corresponding EV, investments in stocks have an EV but with time value of money added in.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM

I should probably note, if it weren't already evident, that I am a business perspective investor and not a day trader. But I believe the logic for both activities involve the same reasoning involved in poker decisions, but again, with different variables.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 PM

interesting...thanks. I will take that into consideration. I'd like to start. I'll probably take a course or something to get some ideas together.