Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Default A software I would love to have

I posted this in the software forum and they called me an idiot. So I try here instead were I know the posters are generally more loving and friendly.

Why is there no line-analyzer software?

What I mean is a more advanced version of poker stove. This is how it should work roughly: You chose ur hand and the board. You put your opp on a range and choose different strategies for different part of his range (for instance he CR/call/check/call etc. with this group of hands etc). Then you should be able to run villains strategy against different lines and see which one is most +EV. It would of course take a long time to program an excact villain strategy (weighted with probability), but a rough estimate would usually be enough. If this would be too hard what about one street?

Doesn't sound that impossible to me. And it would be a great aid in analyzing post-flop play. Does this type of software allready exist?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: A software I would love to have

If this software existed it would mean that someone could have a great NL Bot. As far as I'm concerned, there exist no no-limit bots, the AI involved is currently beyond human understand/software/computing powers

The problem with your analysis is that a villian's betting/checking strategy would rely far to heavily on his read/perception of the hero, so perhaps after an extend hand history you could begin to understand the tendencies of the hero, however then you must take into consideration how much is the villian really paying attention, essentially your creating an AI person to play against.

GL
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 PM

yeah I've done some prototyping of this and thought about building it out but it's a fair amount of work and the potential customer base is too small to make any money on it IMO. I agree it would be a sweet tool to have though

edit: link to your s/w forum post?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this software existed it would mean that someone could have a great NL Bot. As far as I'm concerned, there exist no no-limit bots, the AI involved is currently beyond human understand/software/computing powers

The problem with your analysis is that a villian's betting/checking strategy would rely far to heavily on his read/perception of the hero, so perhaps after an extend hand history you could begin to understand the tendencies of the hero, however then you must take into consideration how much is the villian really paying attention, essentially your creating an AI person to play against.

GL

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm talking about a simpler program than u think. First of all it doesn't make any reads. We estimate the strategy based on what's 'normal' for the type of player we have seen. It will be rough but better than guessing blind.

Second this sofware won't tell u anything about how often u need to mix up ur play. It won't teach how to play perfect according to game-theory. You just estimate ur opps strategy and it crunch the numbers, calculating EV for different lines on different turn/river cards. So it's not an AI at all. Just as poker-stove isn't an AI.

This would just be an analyzing tool, helping u off the table.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I've done some prototyping of this and thought about building it out but it's a fair amount of work and the potential customer base is too small to make any money on it IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If u change ur mind pl let me know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]!

[ QUOTE ]

edit: link to your s/w forum post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

But it won't give u anything.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:42 PM

just out of curiosity how much would you be willing to pay for this?

dont feel bad, they actually think you are really talking about writing a bot. some people have never gone through the trouble of doing all this work manually.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just out of curiosity how much would you be willing to pay for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it had a good interface with buttons and colors etc and was accurate, I think ~$40 would be reasonable? This is because I realize that the number of buyers would be limited. It depends on what features it would have also of course.
I realize no-one would write it for that money alone, but I can't afford to hire a programmer myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]

dont feel bad, they actually think you are really talking about writing a bot. some people have never gone through the trouble of doing all this work manually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why they think it's a bot. It would only analyze one isolated hand. Nothing to do with bots really. I was thinking of this when I was analyzing a blind-steal hand. It takes lots and lots of totally unnecessarily hand calclations to analyze a very basic hand. This tool would make it a lot easier.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this type of software allready exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but it is my brain.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

yes, but it is my brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it for sale?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does this type of software allready exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but it is my brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

bob let's say I wrote a quiz that looks something like this:

1. You raise A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the cutoff, big blind calls. After the flop your opponent check/raises you. He will check/raise with any pair or two pair, any flush/straight draw that includes at least one over. With a set or a five card hand he will just check/call.

Now I flash you two flops at a time. for one of these flops you will always have at least 5% higher equity than the other. what percentage of the time do you think you'll pick the right flop?

do you think it matters? If you did this a whole bunch of times do you think you would improve?