Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 AM

Default (razz) 3 way pot with aggressive player

I let my emotions get the best of me on this hand and I think that affected my play. Seat 2 was pissing me off, though, making bets with the worst hand repeatedly and then hitting and (regrettably) getting paid off.

Anyway, comments on all streets welcome. My main question is about 5th. I figure my equity is somewhere between .3 and .45 based on potential hand ranges. Seat 4 probably has the worst of it, but I'd like him to fold so that I can buy some equity in the hand. This seems right to me because in all of my simulations, almost all of seat 4's equity goes to me if he folds. I think I'm often a slight dog if he folds but not by much and I now can expect to get 1/2 of a slightly smaller pot instead of 1/3 of a slightly larger pot. Does that make sense or am I smoking crack? Is he never folding a T8 here getting 3:1?

I actually expected Seat 2 to bet here but I actually don't think I mind terribly if he checks behind. I'm certain he has the 3rd worst hand.

On 6th I am drawing very thin but getting 10:1

On 7th I hate my hand and want to die.

Razz ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.80 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (9.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (12.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (15.90 BB - $7.95)
Old 08-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: (razz) 3 way pot with aggressive player

I fold 4th =P In some instances I'll play a 10 but not when someone completes and catches low cards.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 AM

If you play past 4th I fold on 6th. You're drawing pretty slim to a hand that might not be good. Though your odds stricly on 6th are ~10-1, calling the river UI or calling after making something shoot thse numbers all to hell. It is going to cost you at least 2 more big bets to see a showdown and maybe more. My biggest reason for folding 6th is the fact that it is still three way and it is likely you're in 3rd place.

You have:
5 cards to make a 75 which might not be good
4 cards to make a 76 which likely might not be good
3 cards to make an 87 which probably will lose
3 cards to make a 97 which is crap
19 cards leave you with your T7
0 cards to make you a sure winner

I think you're move on 5th didn't have the mojo it needed since you all had a brick. But that move is what bloated the pot and really put you to a decision when you bricked on 6th.

Patty
Old 08-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, 4th is perhaps a little iffy but my outs are all good except for 2 aces and he's paired here some of the time - and he's betting whether he paired or not. If seat 4 calls I'm getting 7:1 although I will have to beat both of them. I like the 5th I got... Seat 4 gets an 8 but my T is better than his and my draw is better than his. Seat 2 is behind but probably has a monster draw, even if he'd bet paired down card on 4th I don't *think* he'd do it on 5th although he might if he was checked to.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play past 4th I fold on 6th. You're drawing pretty slim to a hand that might not be good. Though your odds stricly on 6th are ~10-1, calling the river UI or calling after making something shoot thse numbers all to hell. It is going to cost you at least 2 more big bets to see a showdown and maybe more. My biggest reason for folding 6th is the fact that it is still three way and it is likely you're in 3rd place.

You have:
5 cards to make a 75 which might not be good
4 cards to make a 76 which likely might not be good
3 cards to make an 87 which probably will lose
3 cards to make a 97 which is crap
19 cards leave you with your T7
0 cards to make you a sure winner

I think you're move on 5th didn't have the mojo it needed since you all had a brick. But that move is what bloated the pot and really put you to a decision when you bricked on 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to fold 6th and I really wanted to fold 7th (wish I could have been after Seat 4 in that case...) but I got stubborn and called down. At the time I actually thought any of my outs to a seven would be good and assumed that my outs to an 8 would not, for the most part. When I called on 6th I did not plan to call 7th unimproved but there you go.

On 5th Seat 4 paused for sooooooooo long and I was projecting FOLD FOLD FOLD to him but he wouldn't take the bait.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:00 PM

raise 3rd. fold 4th. You have fancy play syndrome on 5th, seat 4 has 4 to an 8 and is NEVER folding to your T low.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, 4th is perhaps a little iffy

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a little iffy, its horrible. Get it out of your head, the pot is too small to be peeling here 3 ways without closing the action. Fold. Fold even if your opponents are idiots. Fold if your opponent announces that he paired on 4th. Fold if its Sunday.

Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold.Fold. Fold.Fold.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise 3rd. fold 4th. You have fancy play syndrome on 5th, seat 4 has 4 to an 8 and is NEVER folding to your T low.

[/ QUOTE ]
NEVER is a long time my friend. Most players at microstakes will play along to try drawing to any 8 low under almost any circumstances, but there are enough weak/tight players who will fold facing some serious betting to give the hero some fold equity here. In fact, since seat 4 should fold facing a c/r and the possibility of a cap since seat 2 is a LAG, maybe hero gets lucky and finds a GOOD player in seat 4 who is trying to build a BR and move up in limits.

Rusty, take pride in your 5th st play here. It's the one street you played well [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Rusty, take pride in your 5th st play here. It's the one street you played well

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay?