Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Magazines

I stopped reading a newspaper a while ago, but I do still enjoy magazines. In the last 10 years or so the magazine landscape has changed a lot, with some magazines getting a lot better and some a lot worse IMO. So here's my current magazine state of the union. Yours?

Magazines I currently read regularly:

The New Yorker - Some great political analysis, often some excellent true crime, and usually from very good humor. Oliver Sacks still sometimes contributes as well as David Sedaris. Probably my favorite magazine ever.

Harper's - I think it's pretty hit-or-miss, but I still like it. Also, Harper's is responsible for me playing holdem, which I guess is a good thing.

US Weekly - This should keep me from being accused of being elitist. My wife has a subscription and I've come to look forward to it. GREAT bathroom reading. Man, that Britney is nuts!

Magazines I buy when travelling:

The Economist - Great to take up time on a plane. I definitely should read it regularly but I don't.

Entertainment Weekly - Std airplane mag.

Magazines that used to be good but now suck:

Vanity Fair - There, I said it. Used to be SO good but now I rarely find a single article I enjoy. I also just can't stand Dominick Dunne.

Los Angeles Magazine - Worst magazine ever. When my wife buys it she hides it because I'll get mad.

Magazine I miss a lot:

Talk - I loved that magazine. Great mix of politics and humor.

I'd love to hear some magazine that I might like, my New Yorker is lonely.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: Magazines

I just get whatever mags i find free subscriptions to online. Currently i think thats Time and Baseball Digest. Both do their thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:13 AM

I agree fully with what you said about The Economist. Whenever I read it I tell myself I need a subscription... it just never happens.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 AM

The only two I subscribe to are Esquire (which I love) and I recently subscribed to Interior Design because it's a new interest of mine. Interior Design is really cool if you're into that kind of stuff and it has lots of suggestions for classy/modern stuff for your place.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:39 AM

When traveling I like to read The Atlantic, Playboy, and GQ. All of these have 2-3 hours of good reading material in them, although I do get some funny looks when reading Playboy.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:45 AM

I think The Economist is always a great read. Well written, insightfull etc. Definitely the best magazine in that genre.

For entertainment I quite like GQ.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:09 AM

National Geographic is a must.

Same thoughts with The Economist.

I go to the school's bookstore to read Slam/Dime. We got free subscription from past tenants so I read those in the bathroom.

GQ/Detail/Men's Vogue.

I used to read Forbes but I can read a lot of stuff online nowadays. Do people still get WSJ/Barron's in person or do you browse online nowadays?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 AM

Magazines I get.

Sports Illustrated
GQ
Details
ESPN
Wired
Esquire
Consumer Reports
Maxim
Stuff
Newsweek
Fortune
Forbes
Money
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree fully with what you said about The Economist. Whenever I read it I tell myself I need a subscription... it just never happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you have time to read all these magazines... As for economist, I do the same thing everyone said in this thread, I don't think I could read it every week if I got it. I mostly have a pile of GQs sitting in my bedroom collecting dust
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 AM

I read the American edition of Esquire, the British edition sucks. Also F1 Racing magazine as I am a long time fan. The Atlantic Monthly and The New Yorker I get when I can.