Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: I can’t stop playing poker

I went through a similar phase, although I was playing high limits and losing quite a lot of money. To limit this, I stopped playing online for about a year and only played live games with friends about once or twice a week, while really focusing on the aspects of the game that are important (ie: making good decisions, playing in favorable games).

By eliminating the online portion of my poker play, I was able to see each time that i played as entertaining and a time to not only improve my game, but spend time with friends, rather than in front of the computer.

After this, I went back to online poker and only played a few SNG's a week, or some small stakes cash games for fun against friends online. I realized that my new perspective of the game yielded some good returns. I could make money long-run by playing the stakes that suited my abilities.

I would suggest limiting either hours played or money wagered (because it sounds like you dont want to quit entirely). Another option would be to only play live games, where you can more easily see tangible wins and losses.

You can also get some friends to deposit online and have them sort of monitor your play, or only play when they are online. This may help.

Good Luck and if you get on tilt, just close the window and take a breather!