Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Default How to narrow down the Range of your opponents

Hey guys.

One topic that is allways mentioned in the posts on 2plus2 are Hand ranges. I think if you are able to narrow down the range of your opponets on every pettingstreet you are able to figure their possible hands out.
However it seems to be too much of a thinkingprocess to do that becouse you only have about 10 sec on every street to do that.

Also you have to take in account if your opponents are loose or tight players (wide range vs normal range)and when they are amateurs it is almost impossible to work their hand out becouse they are capable to play everything.

So how do you deal with this importand subject?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: How to narrow down the Range of your opponents

I came in here with the intention of making a serious post, but...

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys.

One topic that is allways mentioned in the posts on 2plus2 are Hand ranges. I think if you are able to narrow down the range of your opponets on every pettingstreet you are able to figure their possible hands out.
However it seems to be too much of a thinkingprocess to do that becouse you only have about 10 sec on every street to do that.

Also you have to take in account if your opponents are loose or tight players (wide range vs normal range)and when they are amateurs it is almost impossible to work their hand out becouse they are capable to play everything.

So how do you deal with this importand subject?

[/ QUOTE ]

lololololol
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Play more poker and it will become natural. It aint so many hands the opponent can have that connect with the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2007, 04:17 AM

haha...

anyway, grunching is good. It means you post your hands first without reading the replies by other posters to the hand in discussion. You can include your hand reading range, and after posting, compare with what other thinks.

I’ve been doing it for the past 2 months, and I can feel that my ranging is getting better and closer to those veterans.

On the other hand, you can post a hand you played, and list the hand range that you think the villians have, and have the others comment on it.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 AM

If your opponent is an amateur and will play any two cards it won't be necessary to put him on a range because any hand that you make will usually be stronger then whatever BS he is playing.

Against normal opponents a combination of intuition and experience will help narrow their ranges based on what you've seen up to that point. A tight player opening from early position will usually have a premium. A loose player opening on the button could mean almost any two cards.

Obviously polarizing your opponents in this way isn't the best way to get reads on them but it will help you to understand how it works. The more you do it the better you will get at it and eventually you will notice that at showdown your opponents are flipping up hands that you expect to see.

-Jerry
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 PM

Check out Sklansky's book, Hold'em Poker and Miller's DVD, Reading Hands.